Chapter 8

"How is everything?" I asked Adam, Monday afternoon. He had a rough day so I decided to have him stay after with me for a bit.

"Uhm, its alright, I guess. I'm just glad you're back." He smiled slightly, and pushed his glasses up.

"Me too." I smiled, I took his hands in mine, "Can I look?" I asked, and he nodded. I rolled up his selves, revealing cuts on his arms. I could tell they were new.

"Adam..." I said, squeezing his hands, "why do you do this to yourself?" He took a deep breath.

"I'm not good enough." He said, all in one breath, "My parents hate me!" I saw tears start to pool up in his eyes, he struggled to choke them back.

"Don't say that hun, they love you so much. Imagine how upset they would be if you hurt yourself even more, and that includes killing yourself." He sucked on his lips, then let out a sigh.

"I have to go." He stood up, but I stopped him.

"Theres something you're not telling me," I said, and he sat back down, "You can tell me anything." We sat there in silence for a minute, as he fiddled with his thumbs.

"There is something, actually. I-I haven't told anyone yet." He took in another deep breath and then let it out. "My mom and dad were fighting the other night. My dad was drunk, very drunk, and he took a bottle and smashed it over my mom's head." He paused and took a sip of his water.

"Are you okay?" I asked, worried about him, "You don't have to continue."

"No, I'm fine," Adam continued, "He barged out of the house, and I haven't heard from him since. When I tried talking to my mom about it, she started yelling at me, blaming it on me, a-and she..." A single tear slid down his face, then another, and another, "She told me to go kill myself, and that she would be better off without me." Now, he was sobbing, I reached out to hug him, but he pushed me away. "I-Im sorry, I really have to go." He stood up, and before I could stop him, he bursted out of the room. I sat in the chair, taking in everything that just happened. I can't believe his parents would do that. I stood up, and picked up the classroom phone. I dialed the main office, and Mrs.Charlotte, the secretary picked up.

"Main Office." She said with a cheery voice.

"Hi, this is Mrs.Horan, room 112, can you please get Adam Maller's parents on the phone?"

"Sure." She said, I thanked her, and she connected me. The phone dialed, and then, a lady with a raspy voice came on.

"Hello, can I help you?" She asked, coughing.

"Yes, this is Mrs.Horan, one of Adam's teachers." She scoffed at his name, which disgusted me. How could someone hate their own child like that.

"What'd the brat do this time?"

"Nothing, he is a good kid, I'm actually worried about him."

"Worried? About Adam? Yeah right, the kid is fine."

"Actually, no, he isn't. Are you aware that your son has been self harming?" I asked, she didn't reply at first.

"Of course I do," what kind of parent do you think I am?" I was fed up by that.

"Apparently not a good one because he said you told him to kill himself. That is NOT acceptable Mrs.Maller."

"You're not my mother, or his, so stop being a bi*ch and stop telling me wat to do." And with that, she hung up. I was offended, and annoyed at the same time, but mostly, I was worried about Adam." I gathered my things, then searched the school for Adam. He was no where to be found. I went and picked Hunter up from his school, with Adam still on my mind. I hope he is okay. The rest of the night was almost a blur. Not that I don't remeber anything, but all I thought about was Adam. The next morning in homeroom, students shuffled into the classroom, and with ever tick of the second hand, and every student who walked in, I grew more nervous about Adam. The bell rang, and he didn't show up.  I started class, and then, ten minutes later, the door swung open. Adam walked in, with a purpley blue eye.

"Oh my god," I said, walking to Adam, ignoring the rest of the class, "what happened to you?" 

"Nothing." he said, looking right past me. He walked to his seat, and ignored the fact that I was worried about him. Kids started whispering, and Adam looked embarrassed. 

"Alright everyone, settle down." I said, getting back to work. I could tell Adam didn't want to be bothered. I carried on with class and when the bell rang, everyone, including Adam, left. I thought about stopping him, but I think he just wanted to be alone for a little while, without having to talk to anyone. The day dragged on, and then, as the1st bell rang, I went outside to the busses, and waited for Adam. He walked out of the school, his backpack stuffed. 

"Adam," I said, he saw me, then walked over. 

"Yea?" He questioned.

"Are you okay? I was worried about you."

"I'm fine," He said, looking at his bus, "I have to go." 

"Adam, what happened to your eye?"  I asked, ignoring his last comment.

"Nothing!" He snapped. I sighed, and he took in a sharp breath.

"My mom." He said, "my mom punched me! Okay!" 

"Adam..." is all I could say. I was shocked. He stood there, looking at his feet. 

"You're not going back there." I said, "That is child abuse. You're not going back." 

"Where do you want me to go then?" He asked, almost yelling. I thought about it for minute, then, I made a decision.

"My house."

"What?" He asked, shocked, "Is that even legal? Can I student stay at a teachers house? I think not." He rolled his eyes. 

"Well, you can't stay at your house. I'll talk to the principal. It will all be ok."

"Ok," he said with a weak smile, "thank you." 

"No problem." I smiled. We watched the last few buses pull out of the parking lot, and then, we went into the main office.

"Hi," I said to Mrs. Charlotte, " is Principal Evans available at the moment? This is urgent." She nodded.

"Yes, one second." She said with a smile. We followed her into Mr.Evans' room. 

"Hi!" He said, with a cheery voice, Mr.Evans is a nice guy. He isn't the typical 'mean and scary' principal. He is always nice to the students, and helps them out when there is a problem. 

"HI Mr. Evans." I said with a smile, Adam waved. 

"Take a seat," He said, "What can I help you with?" Adam and I sat down in the seats across from his desk. 

"Well, there is a problem at Adam's home, and I don't think it's safe for him to be there." 

"Ok, and how can I help." He asked, rubbing his chin. 

"I was wondering if it would be alright if Adam stayed at my house. Not permanently, but until things are sorted out at his house."

"I see..." He says, "I know our rules say that a student who isn't related to a teacher, shouldn't be staying with a teacher, but under the circumstances, I think we can make some adjustments."

"Thank you Mr.Evans." I smiled. 

"Thank you." Adam said with a smile. We walked out of the principals office, and then went out to my car. We got in, and buckled up. 

"Mrs.Horan," Adam said as I started to pull away, "thank you." 

"No need." I smiled, and we picked Hunter up, and drove home.