Chapter 24

~ Daniel's POV ~

I just finished paying for our food and Anna and I are heading to the park. I knew there was something not quite right. We kept walking for a while longer until I saw a familiar face in front of us.

Jake.

"Hey Anna." He says looking at her up and down. We've been face to face for only 2 seconds, and I already want to punch him in the face. Only I can look at Anna like that! Nobody else!

"Daniel." He says nodding to me. Man, how much I hate him.

I grab Anna's hand and start to walk away. He pushes me back and walked up to Anna.

"Why didn't you think about it?" He asks her.

What the hell is he talking about.

"I gave you time to think about the deal." He says.

"What the hell are you saying? I never made any kind of deal with you, nor would I ever want to. Just get away." She says.

I'm so confused right now.

"You knew the deal. It was him, or me. And if you picked him, I'd make your life miserable. And that other thing that I told you not to mention." Jake says.

I look at Anna and she looks at me. She gave me a look that had the confusion written all over it.

"I have no idea where you got the idea that we made a deal. Because I didn't." She says. There's a crease in the middle of her forehead which usually means that she's really confused. That means everything that Jake is saying is not true.

"Quit trying to say stuff that isn't true and just leave her alone." I say and step in front of Anna. She comes out just a bit to see what's going on.

"Oh, so now you want to step in? That's pretty sad that you had to see that she was telling the truth. Why didn't you defend her from the beginning? See Anna, your own boyfriend didn't believe you. I would've defended you from the start." He says.

"Why don't you shut the fuck up, and leave before things get ugly." I say.

I don't like to cuss. Only when I'm really mad.

"Oh yeah, and what's a scrawny guy like you going to do to me?" He says, and all in one swift motion, he lifts up his shirt to reveal a gun. He takes it out of the pocket and points it towards us. I feel Anna jump and squeal, then she gets frozen still.

I step in front of her all the way, and keep her behind me. If it means taking a bullet for her to keep her safe, so be it. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't protect her.

"Jake, put that down." I say to him, trying not to let the nervousness of my voice show.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger. You stole my girl, you ignored me, you left me, and now I don't have any friends. I hang out with people who fight, who do drugs, who get high everyday. So tell me Daniel, why shouldn't I pull this trigger?" He's still pointing the gun straight at me. I'm hiding Anna behind my back while I try to think of a good response. This response will seriously be life or death for me.

"Jake, if you pull the trigger, nothing will get better for you. You'll go to jail, you'll have to go to court. Your future won't even look good-" he cuts me off.

"Does it look like I give a damn about my future?" He says. As soon as he says that, I see a person walking this way. The man sees the situation we're in and gives me the look to hold on. I don't respond so I don't make it obvious. The man pulls out his phone and walks the other direction so he doesn't get heard by Jake.