Chapter Two

Copyright © Rebecca Beatty

All Rights Reserved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*4 Months Later*

I snapped awake at the slamming of a car door that caused the entire car to vibrate beneath my cheek. My eyes ached for the darkness of sleep to consume them. As the wariness started to consume me, there was a sharp knock sounding on the car’s window.

I wiped all the sleepers out of my eyes as I looked up to a smiling man. The familiar smile went along with this mid forties looks. His dark brown hair was shaved into a military style, but the hair color is what struck up the memory of my mother. His hazel green eyes had shining specks of brown coasting along the outer rim, while the rest of his face was pure masculine.

“Come on sleepy head! Get out of the car already!” He practically sung.

His smile and laughter was just like my mother’s. Everything he had was like my mom. And then I felt stupid. Of course it would, Brock was the older brother of my mom. Making him, my dear ole Uncle Brock.

I grabbed the two black duffel bags on the floor of the backseat and stepped out into the dry, summer air of Elizabeth, Wyoming. There was a forest surrounding all the acres my uncle owned, a small barn was off to the side that illustrated the perfect farm life for animals. There was many cows -who were eating the day away- and with many horses -who were running free and kicking the dust-.

I smiled sadly as many memories start to flood back. My Uncle Brock smiled blissfully as he stretched his hands out fully showcasing the one story home he built himself.

“So?” He asked happily. “Remember this place?”

I nodded slowly and felt a sting of pain pick at my heart. It was a large cabin that had a deck wrapping around it entirely. There was hunter green shudders that hung close to the windows, showing off the clear glass. The logs on the cabin looked worn out from rain but it made the house even more stunning. A paved side walk lead to the large wooden door that was covered on each side with colorful flowers. And on each side of the porch steps, was a huge white rose bush.

I remember my Aunt Josie having a bigger and more “special” garden in the back. That was her pride and joy. I saw a glimpse of the white lilies and other exotic flowers that she got in the jungles of Asia and The Amazon.

I smiled at the white roses and tickled my fingers down the petals bit by bit. They were so soft, and just so pretty. I softly reached in to pluck the flower when a feminine hand grasped my wrist harshly.

A snarl left my lips as I looked into a pair of pale green eyes. Fear was swimming in the depths of her eyes. The long brown hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail with caramel highlights gleaming against the sun.

“Don’t pick that,” she said threateningly but quickly adverted her gaze to the ground.

I released the flower and snaked my wrist away from her and grabbed her wrist more roughly, growling even louder.

“DO.NOT.” I said quietly to her. “Ever touch me.”

I released her hand and she quickly brought her hands to her sides and slightly bowed. She grabbed one of my black duffel bags and left swiftly to go inside the house.

While starring at the door, and anger flowing through my veins, my senses picked up on movement behind me. I heard the blades of grass being crushed and a masculine odor starting to fill the air. I snarled softly and dropped down and spun around kicking my uncle’s feet out from under him. My snarl started to get louder and my uncle’s hands flew up in front showing me, he meant no harm. I could effortlessly smell the fear pumping through his blood and I could see…was that surprise in his eyes?