Forty Six

Aden
I stare down at April. She looks back up at me. I hesitate before continuing. Once she knows there won't be any going back, but Jamal didn't give me any other option. If knowing my father taught me anything it was that blackmail never ended.

If I didn't tell April now he would hold it over my head forever. Plus I couldn't let April continue to believe her brothers affections were innocent. I'd be damned if I let him touch her. Even if April never wanted to deal with me at least she'd know who her brother really was.

"What do you mean, Aden?" April asked.

"My father found out about Jamal beating me up. I didn't know that he was going to take it that far. I should have known. Knowing him and the type of man he was I should have but I didn't. He's always had people willing to do his dirty work."

"Aden what are you trying to say ?"

I sigh. I just had to say it. The simple truth would have to be told and I had to tell it. I opened my mouth to tell her.

A loud pounding at the door interrupts me. I turn to look at the door.

"April get the door." Her father yelled from the kitchen.

I looked at April. She still had her eyes on me. The knocking came again but this time it was more urgent.

"April." Her father yelled again.

April looks at the door and then back at me.

"Go ahead, we can talk later." I say.

"Just wait here I'll be back." April said.

I watched as she raced over to the door. I let out a sigh and combed my hands through my hair. God, I hated my father for putting me in this situation.  I still remember the feel of her lips against mine. After I told her what happened that might be the last kiss we ever shared.

"Is this Jamal Robinson's residents?" A deep authoritative voice asked.

I frowned and stepped out to see who was at the door.

"Who's asking?" April said.

"Police. Jamal Robinson has been identified a suspect in a possible underground drug ring."

April's father must have heard the cops speaking because he stepped out into the hallway.

"What's going on here?" He asked.

"Sir we're here looking for a Jamal Robinson. Is he on the premises?"

"What do you want with my son?" April's dad asked looking upset.

"He's wanted in suspicion of possible drug related activities." The cop said pushing past April.

It was two cops. The fist one that stepped through I didn't recognize but the second one looked familiar.

I was just about to say something with a crashing noise rang out from the kitchen.

"We've got a runner." One of the cops said before running toward the kitchen. The other took of running in the opposite direction out off the door.

April's father raced out after the cop. April stared frozen in shock for a moment before she took off racing after her father.

"April." I called but it was too late she was already out of the door.

I ran after her catching up just in time to see the cop slam Jamal's body down onto the ground. I held onto April stopping her from running after him.

The cop held Jamal to the ground while the one I knew tossed him a pair of hand cuffs.

"Jamal Robinson you are under arrest for the solicitation of narcotic. Any thing you say can and will be used against you." The cop continued to read him his rights as he placed the hand cuffs on Jamal.