Fifteen

April
My brother had taken us all by surprise. I hadn't been expecting him to be the one to apologize, but I guess it made sense. He wasn't nearly as stubborn as Jamal and I so therefore better at admitting to his mistakes.

"So we good?" Keith asked. "I won't mess with you anymore unless you give me a reason to." He says his eyes flicking over to me. He still thought Aden was going to hurt my felling or something.

"I guess so?" Aden said. He still seemed a bit confused by the whole situation.

"Good, then I'ma bounce. I never did like Mr. McCat's. This room brings up a lot of bad memories." Keith said looking around the room. He pauses when his eyes land on me. He smiles.

"Later April." Keith says before leaving the room.

I wait a few seconds before chasing after him. I spot him by the staircase.

"Keith." I call.

My brother turns to look back at me. I run up to him and wrap my arms around him tight. I nearly knock us both down.

"Thanks." I say pulling back.

At the end of the day Keith is more than just my brother; he's my best friend. I always hate it when we fight. This one, although short, had been the worst fight we'd had in a long time.

Keith smiles. "Hey, don't go thinking I did that for you. I did it for me. I though about what you said and I don't want to be that guy. I'm sorry I made you cry April."

I push his shoulder. "I wasn't crying."

"Oh sure you weren't. Because April Robinson never cries." He said rolling his eyes.

"Shut up." I say with a laugh. He knows better than anyone what a big crybaby I can be, but he doesn't tell anyone.

"So are we good?" Keith ask looking down at me.

I nod my head. "Yeah we're good."

"Awesome, because there's a game to night and I need someone to watch it with. Erick's dumb a$$ is routing for state, so he's no fun."

I shake my head. "I should have known you had an ulterior motive."

Keith puts his hands in his pockets and shrugs. "I mean it wasn't the only reason, but what can I say. I miss my best bud." He says ruffling my hair. I smile at him. This is why I love Keith. He's simple and he knows how to make the people around him feel good. Every now and then he needs people to call him on his sh!t but underneath it all his a good dude.

I walk back into class. Aden is sitting in the corner. He looks up at me and smiles. I smile back and walk over towards him.

"That came as a surprise." Aden says as I sit down.

"Yeah it did, didn't it" I say with a smile.

"Do you think he's serious. It's kind of hard to believe the guy would change so suddenly."

I think about what Aden said. My brother was the type of guy who went with the flow of life. If he said he learned his lesson then I wanted to believe it.

"I hope so." I answer.

"Then I guess that only leaves Jamal for me to worry about."

"You don't have to worry about him. If any of them try anything I'll beat them to a pulp."

"April I told you I don't need you to fight my battles."

"Oh Aden that's what friends are for." I say resting my hand on his arm.