Froty Five

April
I help mom set the table for dinner. She finished up everything with my help and now we're just waiting for it to cool off.

"So Aden seems like a nice boy." Mom says as we put the plates down.

"Yeah he is. Aden's amazing."

I smile thinking about him. Aden, my boyfriend. It feels so weird to even think it but I can't keep the smile off of my face.

I look over at my mom and see that I've made a fatal mistake. She has a knowing grin on her face.

"I knew it." Mom says.

"Please don't tell dad. It just happened and I don't want anyone ruining it."

"Oh sweetie have some faith, your father might talk a big game but he's a teddy bear."

"Mom please. He was just talking about the interracial couple on tv last night. I don't want to start anything with him."

"April that's not what he meant. He was complaining about the lack of black couples on tv. Your father just wants you to be proud of who you are. He doesn't want any of his children choosing a partner because they're ashamed of who they are."

"I'm not with Aden because he's white. I'm with Aden because he's Aden. There's no other boy like him white or black."

Mom walks over to me and places her hand on my cheek. "Sweetie if that's really how you fell then I'm sure your father will understand. As long as he's good to you we're happy. You're his little girl and all he wants is for you to find someone who treats you with the respect you deserve."

"He does mom."

"Then I couldn't be happier for you."

I hug my mother tight. I didn't realize how worried I'd been about my parents accepting us. There are plenty of people who wouldn't want to see Aden and I together. It was nice to know that my parents weren't apart of those people.

I let go of her and she smiles down at me. "So does this mean you'll be needing sex advice now? The first rule is no glove no-"

"Oh god mom please don't go there." I say turning away from her.

"It's something you need to hear. Last thing you need is another little you running around. And just so were clear I plan on being the grandmother who shows up with candy and dips out before the sugar rush starts, so don't go getting any ideals."

"Mom."

I really don't want to do this now, especially since the boys should be back any minute now. So far the only thing Aden and I had done was kissing, but then I think of when we'd kissed. I guess it wasn't too hard to imagine how people got swept up in the moment. I'm not exactly sure what would have happened if we'd been alone.

"Seriously though April, being responsible with your partner is an important part of sex. I'm not going to be hypocritical and tell you to wait until marriage, I just want you to take care of you. I have some condoms you can have and I think we should set up appointment with the gynecologist." Momma said.

Momma had me back when she was in high school. She wasn't dating my biological father but after she got pregnant they worked together to build a loving family. For the first four years of my life they'd done just that. Momma tells me that my father good man but he had a temper that caused trouble more often then not.

After he died she became both a high school dropout and a single mom. The world was anything but kind to her but she worked hard to make her way in this world. She made a point of using her mistakes and set backs as teaching tools for me.