Twenty One

April
"I swear to god April if you look at that phone one more time I'm going to smash it." Keith said looking over at me.

I put my phone down and sigh. "I just want to text him. It feels like things are still unsettled between us. I just need to know everything's okay."

Keith rolls his eyes and drops his head back. "Oh my god, April. Can you please not sound like such a girl when foot ball is on." He says point towards the TV. It's on commercial right now.

"I am a girl." I say feeling defensive. He can talk for hours about the girls he sleeps with but I can't talk about Aden for a few minutes.

"No you're a sport fan. I want back the April who screams at the tv and cusses out the ref, not the girl who stares at her phone like some rejected lover."

I glare at him. "That isn't what this is. Aden's sick. I just want to know if he's okay."

"So text him and ask him."

"I can't. It would be weird now."

I already sent him so many text. His replies made it seem like he wasn't interested in talking. Plus he might be sleeping. If I started texting him now I would be able to stop until I got a response.

"Ugh, swear women overcomplicate everything." Keith groans as he sinks back into the couch.

I sigh. I'm being ridiculous, I know I am. Everything is fine with Aden. I'm just being over paranoid. We'd work on the project online and then I could talk to him Monday.

I'd seen Regina walking through the halls earlier today. I tried to apologize to her but she ignored me. At least now I would be able to tell Aden that I tried.

Dashawn seemed pretty cool with me. He'd even texted Aden when I asked him too.

The weekend was probably all Aden need and then we could talk. He wouldn't just stop being my friend after one little incident, would he? Maybe I should text him, just to check in.

I look down at my phone but it is suddenly plucked out of my hand. I turn to look at Keith. He is holding it away from me.

"Hey give that back." I say reaching for it.

Keith's arms are longer and his reflexes are faster. There's no way I'm getting my phone back, but that doesn't mean I don't try.

Keith shakes his head. "Nope. I'm not letting my sister become that crazy stalker chick who text a guy fifty time in one day. Sit, watch the game, and for the love of God April chill the fvck out."

I sigh and sit back against the sofa. As much as I hate it Keith was right to take my phone. I can't be trusted.

After a few minutes my fan girl kicks in and I'm distracted by the game. Keith and I both jump up when the ref makes a bad call that causes our team to lose the touch down. I call him every bad name know to man.

"A blind monkey could do your job ten times better." I yell at the tv.

"Dang April, tell him how you really feel."

I turn to see Jamal standing in the hallway. He smiles at me but all I do is stare back. Things are awkward between us still.

Keith turn around too. "Sup." he greets.

"You guys watching the game?" Jamal asked stepping into the room.

"Yeah we were wining but now it's a tie."

"Cool, mind if I watch?"

"No" "Yes" Keith and I both answer at the same time.

Keith looks at me and Jamal. He can sense that their some tension, but he doesn't want to get involved.

"Come on April. You can't stay mad at me for forever." Jamal say.

I glare back at him. "Is that a challenge?" I ask.

Our eyes lock, as we fight for dominance. I'm not backing down on this one. I'm willing to let my brothers get away with a lot of sh!t but this isn't one of them.

"Guys this is football. It unites families all across America. Can't we all just get a long ?" Keith asked. His the middle child so being the peace maker comes naturally to him.

I don't move. My glare is still focused on Jamal.

"Please guys. Do it for football." Keith says.

I sigh. Because Keith is my brother and I love him I take my seat on the couch. Jamal falls into the seat next to me. His arm rest on the back of the sofa behind me.

It's a good game and we'll probably end up wining but my mood is severely dampened by Jamal presence. Keith leaves to use the restroom during commercial break. This leaves me alone with Jamal.

"April?" Jamal says after Keith leaves the room.

"I don't want to talk to you." I say not even bothering to look his way.

Jamal sighs. "Okay then can I just tell you something?"

I still don't respond. In this types. Of situations the silent treatment works best.

"I had to go to the principles office today." Jamal continues when he realizes I'm not going to respond.

I role my eyes. Of course he was in the principle office. Violence seemed to be the only means of problem solving he understood.

"It wasn't just for fighting." Jamal said reading my thought. "I mean I did fight but the principle said he was going to come get me anyway. The point of the story is that I got in, I got in to MIT."

I look at Jamal but then quickly look away. Under different circumstances I'd be jumping up and down. My brother might his it but there actually both really smart. I was the one who pushed Jamal to apply. I knew his talents would go to waste anywhere else. He could do so much better than selling weed.

I hate him for making us have this fight. I'm happy for him deep down. He's my brother and I'm always going to want the best for him, but I can't show it because of him being such an a$$ recently.

"But anyway I wanted to tell you I'm going to reject it." Jamal said.

At this I turn my attention fully toward him. "You can't." I say breaking my silence.

"I can and I am." Jamal says.

"Why would you? That's beyond stupid. You'd be throwing away your whole future."

"I don't want to leave here. I can go to a college that's closer and cheaper."

"That won't be the same."

I don't know why he's doing this. What person wouldn't take the opportunity to get out of this neighborhood.. He definitely has more of a chance than I do. At this rate I'll be luck if I make it into community.

"It doesn't matter. I want to stay. I'm not leaving my family. I'm not leaving you." Jamal says. His hands brush away strains of my hair from my face. His fingers softly grazing my cheek.

There is something behind those brown eyes. Something I'm not ready to see.

I pull away and stand up. "I don't need you to protect me Jamal, I'm not a little girl." I say before turning to leave.

I pass Keith in the hallway.

"Hey aren't you going to finish watching the game?" Keith asked watching me run up the stairs.

"Cramps." I yell back because in my experience that's the quickest way to shut down a conversation. In reality I don't think I sit through another half with Jamal next to me.