Chapter Six

Chapter Six (Daimonas)

I suddenly got a bad feeling in the middle of lunch.

It was a tight, twisting sensation in my gut that told me something bad was happening. I wasn't sure what it was, though. I looked around the cafeteria, but I didn't see any signs of any danger happening. It was just full of laughing, chattering human students.

I sat at a round lunch table with Kiki, Ana, and Starling. Kiki was slurping up noodles shaped like farm animals from a sandwich box that looked like a dinosaur. She had dinosaur hair clips keeping her black bangs out of her face matching her Rugrats t-shirt that fell off her shoulders, revealing part of her black tank top underneath. Her black skinny jeans had pins and patches with different pictures and band names on them.

Ana sat beside her, eating her salad more daintily. Her dark hair with the patch of lighter brown was a little wilder today than usual, her bangs over her face. She was wearing a long sleeved netted shirt over a black tank top, like the long netted socks she wore under her black and purple plaid skirt.

Starling looked as cool as ever in his black jean jacket over a band t-shirt, black skinny jeans, and his black hair tied back in a short ponytail. There was still a little braid done near his left ear. He was laughing at something Kiki said, making her blush.

They didn't notice anything bad either.

Why was it just me? Was it my powers picking up on something non-human? That made me nervous. Was it danger to me or someone else? My thoughts went to Newell and Xed. I've been worried about them ever since this morning because they had been acting weird, like they hated each other. Or at least Newell was. Xed was trying to be as nice as usual.

Maybe it had nothing to do with me? I couldn't be sure.

"Hey," Starling said suddenly, making me snap out of my daze to see him getting up, "I'm gonna run to the bathroom." Kiki and Ana nodded. I paused, watching him get up and leave. What if he felt it too? I had to make sure.

"Me too." I decided, hopping to my feet. Ana and Kiki exchanged raised eyebrows, but said nothing as I went after Starling, catching up with him in the hallway. He smiled when he saw me, his thumbs hooked into the pockets of his jeans.

"You comin' too, Dai? We're not girls, you know." He pointed out. I didn't understand what he meant by that, but I blushed anyway because I liked the way his voice sounded when he said my nickname.

"Uhm, I was wondering... Do you, uhm, feel something weird?" I asked. Starling frowned at that as we made our way into the bathroom.

"Weird," He echoed, "Like normal weird or weird weird?" I gave him a puzzled expression.

"Weird weird?" I suggested. Starling nodded, then went down the line of stalls in the bathroom, kicking each one open and making me flinch when the metal doors banged on the walls, revealing each stall to be empty, much to our relief. I hadn't thought of people hiding in the stalls to listen to us.

Starling was so smart. Or maybe I was just being stupid again. I wasn't sure, but Starling was still smart either way. Thinking about it made me nervous, though, as he came to stand in front of me, only a foot of space between us. I could hear his heart beating in his chest, a gentle thump against the inside of his chest, his blood flowing steadily through his veins. I lifted my eyes from his well muscled chest to his face to see him staring at me curiously. Heat crept into my face as I tried to remember what I was going to say before.

Something important.

"You okay? Your cheeks are all pink." Starling pointed out, reaching out to touch my face. I shocked by the contact. It felt so weird. His hand was so warm and soft. I reached up curiously, placing my hand over his to feel the warmth of it pressing my face. Starling looked surprised for a moment before his eyes became hooded. I frowned, confused for a second until he started to lean in closer to my face.