Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine (Daimonas)

When Newell came back into the kitchen, he looked really mad.

I could feel it heating the air around us and even though he smiled at Xed to let him know he was okay, we all knew he was lying. So Dominik and I ate our food quickly before we went upstairs to my room. As soon as I shut the door, Dominik slumped.

"I think I'm causing you too much trouble by being here." He muttered, pushing his glasses up on his nose. I frowned and shook my head.

"No, he's not mad at you. It was probably his friend that called." I responded with a shrug, sittng on the bed. Dominik looked around for a moment, then set his bag down on the floor by the television set before coming over to sit on the bed with a heavy sigh.

"Thank you... for letting me come over. I didn't think you would because of how I treat you." He admitted softly, making me shrug again. I leaned back on my hands, tilting my head to look at him as he clasped his hands tightly between his knees, eyes downcast as usual.

"I don't hate you, Dominik. I consider you my friend." I said with a smile. Dominik blushed at that, looking at me in surprise.

"You do?" He asked, perplexed. I nodded, smiling at his expression as I sat up and looked right into his eyes, making his eyes widen a little.

"Definitely. You're one of my best friends." I replied. Dominik stared at me for a moment longer, like he was trying to figure out if this was a dream or not before he averted his eyes, nodding shyly. We were quiet for a while before I decided to get up and put a movie in. Surely Newell wouldn't mind if we watched one before working on homework.

"What movies do you like?" I asked, sitting in front of the cabinet and looking at all the movies Vladimir had put in the house for me. Dominik shifted a little, nibbling his lower lip and subconsciously touching at the bruises on his face.

"Uhm, any movie you want is fine by me."

"You sure? I like Disney movies."

"Disney movies are okay with me."

"Cool," I exclaimed, relieved that Dominik didn't think it was weird, like Newell thought, "We can watch the Fox and the Hound then. I like little animals. They're so soft and cute. I've always wanted one, but Newell says he doesn't like to take care of things." Dominik didn't say anything, just watched me take the movie out. I took the disk out and stuck it into the DVD player, picking up the remote as I stepped back and sat at the end of the bed.

"Daimonas, what do you want from me?" Dominik asked. I blinked and looked at him, confused, as he looked down at his hands, wringing them out nervously.

"What do you mean?" I asked. What did he mean by want from him? I didn't want anything, except the help him, of course, but he knew that because I kept telling him. Dominik shook his head, looking frustrated now as he smacked his hands down on his lap.

"No, this doesn't make any sense," He insisted, making me frown, "You keep being nice to me and you let me stay over when I have nowhere else to go. Are you trying to get me to do something for you?" I didn't understand what he meant, just looked at him in confusion. He gave a frustrated growl and shot to his feet.

"Do you want me to say it flat out to embarrass myself?" He demanded angrily. Wow, he changed moods real quick. One minute he was starting to relax and get comfortable, but then it was suddenly like he thought none of this was real and had to keep reminding himself and everyone else. I couldn't find a better way to explain it.

"I don't want anything from you?" I tried. Dominik wrinkled his nose, grimacing as he looked me up and down, then looked around my room warily. It was like he was waiting for someone to jump out of my closet or out from under my bed. I noticed he did that a lot.