Chapter Five

Chapter Five (Xed)

The next morning, I woke early to get Daimonas ready for school. Newell wasn't in the bathroom when I woke up and when I passed by the living room, he was sitting on the sofa with a warm mug of blood, frowning at the television intently. I was tempted to go to him, but he was probably still reeling from last night, so I fought the urge and went to Daimonas' room to find that he was already up, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"I'm awake," He said tiredly with a smile, "Thank you for taking me to my room last night, Xed." I gave him a smile in response, then made a gesture with my hands for him to hurry and get ready. He nodded and got up to go to his closet. I left his room to go to the kitchen to prepare his breakfast. Newell didn't say anything or look at me at all. I tried to accept it as him sulking, but it was difficult. I didn't like it when he didn't speak to me.

I took out a frying pan to fry up some eggs and popped some toast in the toaster. While I cooked, Newell still said nothing as he sat there in his recliner, eyes sleepy as he sipped at his mug. He'd showered and changed into a pair of dark slacks and a button up shirt, his shoes resting on the coffee table, in the manner he refused to let Daimonas do. I sighed and went back to cooking as Daimonas came into the living room all dressed for school in grey skinny jeans and a loose red shirt with short sleeves.

"Are you taking me to school again?" Daimonas asked Newell as he plopped down on the sofa. Newell paused at that, frowning before reluctantly nodding. Daimonas beamed.

"I want you to meet my friends! Can you come in with me, just for a second?" He asked hopefully. Newell stiffened at that and glanced at him before looking down into his mug.

"I don't think that's a good idea." He stated, making Daimonas pout.

"Why not? They won't make fun of you if that's what you're worried about." He said. Newell twitched in irritation, a tic forming in his jaw. I sighed. Poor Daimonas really had no idea how to socialize, especially with Newell.

"I don't care about their opinions," Newell deadpanned, "I just have no reason to meet them. They're children." Daimonas frowned thoughtfully at that. I shook my head and took the plate in to Daimonas, who clapped his hands eagerly for a meal. I gave him a quick smile, then glanced sideways, but Newell was sipping his mug, eyes closed. He was purposely avoiding me, but how long could he keep it up if we were supposed to visit Alora this afternoon? I stood up straight and just stared at him, waiting for him to say something, but he very obviously turned his head in the opposite direction. Daimonas noticed, chewing a piece of toast and looking back and forth between us, ponytail bouncing on his shoulder before he frowned, swallowing.

"Are you two fighting?" He asked, confused. Newell stared at him.

"Eat your breakfast."

"But--"

"Eat. Your. Breakfast." Newell ordered sternly. Daimonas gulped and went back to eating hastily while Newell got to his feet and went to his room, slamming the door shut. Daimonas' face fell in confusion and hurt. I frowned, glancing over my shoulder after Newell before looking at Daimonas, who ate his food with a sad expression. I was almost fed up with the way Newell was treating Daimonas. While I knew Newell's intentions were good, he didn't have to be so blunt with him.

Daimonas had pretty tender feelings and poking them so suddenly hurt. It was worse to see Daimonas' disposition fall apart. He was so curious and he learned so quickly. He was friendly and open with people and he seemed to love making friends. But Newell was only crushing all of them by telling him to sit down and be quiet. It was driving me insane and even worse was the fact that I couldn't say anything about it until Newell decided to come to the pool with me.