Chapter 39: The End of an Adventure

Erika entwined her arm with Astrid's and began strolling back to the shorelines. Astrid focused on the dead corpses that were being carted and placed into a large pile. Beside the docks, the Northmen gathered their dead onto a longship, placing them around the edges along with wild flowers, branches, and leaves.

"You cannot worry about it Astrid," Erika paused, taking Astrid by the shoulders. Astrid glanced at her then back at the dead. "They are with their gods now."

Astrid nodded in agreement, pressing forward through the thick muck. "I will pray for their souls." She stated, leaving Erika behind.

Slowly, Astrid walked down the crowed path toward the edge of the sea, where she stood alone. Her mind was empty, as was her heart. She longingly looked out across the clear, rippling water. Her mind drifted away from the shore into an imaginary world inside her head, a place where she would go when there was nobody else there for her.

"I can only imagine how you must feel." Jezebel spoke from behind, reluctant to approach Astrid. "I know you must hate me, just like I hate myself for everything that I have done."

Astrid never responded, instead she began to count the rolling waves in the water as a steady wind blew.

"I just want you to know that I am truly sorry for everything I have done." Jezebel said apologetically, stepping forward. "I made decisions that not only hurt you, but me as well and everyone around me. Everything I done was to fulfill my own selfish desires," she paused looking around at the horrific sights. "Now look  at what it has caused."

"It was not entirely your fault." Astrid reassured Jezebel, glancing over her shoulder. "We all had a part to play in the outcome of this."

"You do not understand, Astrid!" Jezebel cried out, rushing to Astrid's side. "I told them to go after you because I did not want anything to happen to Erick or I. I did not think Bard would become a monster." Jezebel hung her head in shame. "I tried so hard to protect those I loved, but now look!" She shouted, covering her face. "My only son is dead and I cannot bring him back."

Astrid faced Jezebel, lifting her face to hers. "I am sorry for what happened to you son, I truly am; but I do not feel sorry for you in the least. For we have lost something we love due to the inconsiderable actions of others." She forced a smile at the corner of her lips. "I am forever changed because of your actions, and there is nothing to fix that. The past cannot be redone, all we can do is accept the change that it has brought and press forward with our lives."

"Come back with me so we can have a new start." Jezebel suggested, grasping Astrid's hand. "It will be the only way I can live with myself."

Astrid peered back at Jezebel, staring coldly into her eyes. "Do you take me for a fool? I would never return with you." She swallowed, and gave Jezebel a smile. "However, I forgive you. That is only right of me." Astrid paused, glancing at the sky. "My mother would have wanted that; and if you wish, I will see that your son has a proper burial."

Jezebel dropped to Astrid's feet and wrapped her arms around her ankles. "Thank you, Astrid." She closed her eyes, refraining herself from crying. "For everything." She stared gratefully at Astrid. "But mainly for saving me again. I can never repay you."

Astrid pulled Jezebel up. "All you must do, is leave and never return." She nodded, releasing her grasp on Jezebel. "This is our final farewell. You shall never see me again, but before I leave I want you to know that I truly loved you like my mother and you killed me..." Her voice trailed off. "But I could never hate you, no matter how much I wanted to or what I did; and I still can not hate you."