Chapter 13: Attack!

"What are you going to do now!?" Astrid asked loudly chasing behind Erick who now was straightening up his tunic and making himself look presentable, ignoring every word that Astrid spoke.

He hummed a chipper tune to himself as he rubbed his hand along the top of his burred head, glancing up every once in a while at the the French army, which included a Calvary of one-hundred and an estimated three-hundred foot soldiers, that was halted atop the of the banks. Each man stood erect with their black steel rectangular shields at their feet and their swords in hand at their sides. Their protective garb rattled with every move they made which allowed for the Northmen to know that their bodies were well protected from arrows they could shoot. The fancy leader pushed back his swooping dark brown head of hair away from his face as he pondered what his plan of action would be. His horse hoofed the ground fiercely while he sat gallantly perched upon the black leather silver studded saddle strapped upon the white steed's back. Dead expressions were written along the warriors faces, just as the Northmen.

Astrid tugged on the gold embroidered sleeve of Erick trying to grasp his attention.

"Listen to me Erick!" Astrid shouted displeased at his actions. "If you take your men out there it is certain death for us all. They are better equipped and probably highly trained in military tactics, sire. Your men stand no chance."

Erick stared at Astrid while thinking intently.

"We have no other options now, do we?" Erick snidely remarked. "If we did do you not think I would be using them right now. Astrid use your head too. What does your gut tell you to do?"

Astrid's eyes grew wide in disbelief at Erick's tone.

"I would sit beside the water and cry." Astrid stated sharply, pointing towards the rippling shore. "That is what my gut wants to do. But I am not going to do that. If I have to fight, I will fight, only for my freedom."

"That is the only reason why you are here is it not, Astrid?" Erick asked, raising his eyebrows.

Astrid pursed her lips and bobbed her head in agreement.

"Yes sire, that is the only reason why I am here." Astrid stated simply as she focused her attention back onto the army. "If you must fight then these brave men and women will stand and fight with you, even if it means their lives to be taken." She finished saying, pointing around at the Northmen warriors who were prepping themselves for a battle.

"You see Astrid," Erick began, staring each of his soldiers. "they do not fear death since they know if their lives are taken while fighting Odin will sweep down and carry them to Valhalla where they will live forevermore happily with their fellow comrades who have fallen in death also."

Astrid plastered a fake smile onto her face.

"That is good for them. At least they have that peace of mind." Astrid replied, putting her attention onto the ground.

Erick took her by the hand and began rubbing his thumb over the dirt-caked back of her hand.

"What is wrong dear?" He asked sympathetically, patting her on the back.

Astrid shook her head slightly while she began biting her bottom lip nervously.

"If I die today, or any day, I know your Odin will not favor me roaming in the halls of Valhalla and my God, I know, will not allow me to walk his streets of gold for all eternity. I guess I will just remain as a spirit on the earth." Astrid answered, shaking her head. "I am only an outcast."

"Or," Erick blurted. "The gods may favor you so greatly they will let you roam the land forever as a traveller and give you prophecies and stories to share with each place you go."