Chapter 33: Queen Astrid

"They have not left yet." Deman said, passing by Astrid, who sat still embroidering a cloth in the windowsill. He was reading a scroll given by the priests as he leaned against the stone wall beside Astrid. "Do you know why they have not left?"

Astrid paused and tilted her head to the side. "Why should I know anymore than you? I have not heard from them in a week either." She arose from where she sat and laid a hand on Deman's cheek. "You worry too much over things you cannot control. If Erika was going to attack this kingdom, she would have already done so."

"I sometimes wonder about you." He replied, placing his cold hand on her wrist. "I wonder about your loyalty and whose side you are on." He smiled reassuringly. "But I trust that you have finally became content with me as your husband and will not betray me."

Astrid pursed her lips, rising from the window sill. "Why do you say such things? Have I ever appeared to betray you?" She pressed her index finger finger against his chest. "I took a vow that I would stay with you no matter what, and I intend to keep my vows," she shrugged her shoulders. "Whether you will or not is another story, however I trust you have finally became content with me as your wife."

Deman nodded, taking Astrid by the hand. "I have, and to prove to you that I have, I will be leaving with the army on the sea to practice using that boats." He stated, releasing her. Astrid stared blankly at him. "I shall only be gone for a few days. Until I return, you will be in charge. Whatever happens is all on you, so please do not do anything that can get you or anyone else killed."

"Why do you treat me like that?" Astrid asked, glancing out of the window. "You treat me as if I do not know anything, when in reality. I have probably witnessed more than you will ever." She looked back at him, then at her wedding band. "I sometimes wonder if you actually believe in me, or if I am just a pawn to get you what you desire."

Deman averted himself away from Astrid, focusing his eyes on a glowing torch. "I-I-" he stuttered, searching for words to say. He went silent since no words came to him.

Astrid swallowed and ran her fingers through the roots of her hair. "Is that all you are going to say?" She questioned, walking to his side. "Deman?"

Deman spun around on the heel of his boot, cradling Astrid's face within his firm hands. She pushed away from him, staring coldly back at him. He removed his head and averted his eyes.

"I do not want to lose you." Deman piped, walking away from Astrid. "I cannot bear to lose you, not when you are the only thing I desire." He looked over his shoulder, locking eyes with her. "Astrid, I am sorry. I never mean anything negative when I speak." He stepped closer, outstretching his hand. "I am only looking out for everyone, including you."

Astrid nodded, taking him by the hand. "I understand, dear." She hugged his body close to her, squeezing his midsection tightly and resting her head against his broad chest. Tears welled in her sore eyes as she shut them quickly.

¤§¤

"Everything will be alright, child." Jezebel whispered in Lorna's ear, resting her hand upon her shoulder.

Lorna fixated her eyes upon the wooden floors of the rocking longboat. She held her nervous stomach tightly as the boat rocked, back and forth. The sky was a dull gray, which caused Lorna's loneliness to grow ever more. A strong gust of cold air hit her in the face, taking her breath away.