Chapter 11: Sailing!

The ships rocked lightly against the smooth waves swooshing down below the heavy wooden frame of the boat. Astrid was seated beside a light haired woman who appeared to be in the mid-twenties, just as she was. She contemplated on whether she should speak or keep rowing the oar cooperatively in silence. The sun had been out at its peak for a few hours. The blazing sunlight burned Astrid's pale skin like the fire burns food upon an iron skillet. Most of the clouds that hung in the sky had floated away except for a few smaller white wisps against the blue canvas, which provided no protection from the sun's bright rays. A strong breeze started blowing, causing a difficulty in rowing the paddle.

"Drop the sails!" Gustavo yelled to the men beside the beam that held the heavy white sails.

They hastily released the thick ropes, flying the sails high which allowed the boats speed to increase rapidly. Sailing was something Astrid had done very little of. The last time she was on a boat was when she was captured and brought to the new lands. She glanced out along the horizon. Nothing but clear blue seas was visible, which gave her a insight of freedom. Everyone on the boat was equal-men, women, and slaves. The extended view of water made her heart wrench since she knew that eventually shores would come closer, they would land, and once landed she would be known as a slave again, which made her cringe at the thought.

Erick sat at the helm of the ship on a small bench made specially for him. It was off to himself a few feet away from the others, giving him his own personal space. While the others would sleep atop each other, Erick had enough room to prop his head against the walls of the boat to sleep soundly. Astrid could not help but fill with hate and disgust when she saw him. How could such a man, who she thought liked her, betray her in such a way? She pondered to herself. The waves crashed upon the ships sides, breaking Astrid away from the world that was living in her solitude mind.

"Astrid!" Erick shouted over the loud sounds of the boat. She turned her head around where she seen Erick motioning her towards him aggressively.

Astrid looked over at the shy woman, who returned a meek smile, sitting beside her before leaving the bench. She stepped over benches and legs of the crew to arrive at the end of the longboat where Erick stood erected on his own bench at the helm.

"Yes sire?" Astrid responded staring up at Erick.

He jumped down from seat, disturbing the boat's smooth motion, to meet Astrid closer.

"Can you speak the French language?" He asked, tilting his head slightly.

Astrid shook her head. "No sire."

Erick stroked his trimmed beard as he glared out into the distance, then at the sky. He pretended as if Astrid was not even there.

"May I return to my position, sire?" Astrid blurted, gaining Erick's attention once again.

"I thought your God taught you different languages." He snapped. "I will not have you lying to me Astrid. If you can speak French, tell me now!"

Erick grabbed her forearm tightly causing Astrid to gasp in pain.

"I cannot speak it sire and that is final." Astrid responded, her voice filled with pain. "It was not God, sire, that taught us languages but our priests in the church."

Erick's eyes grew wild with a peak of insanity that filled the baby blues.

"Did you correct me, Astrid?" He growled. "Did you speak of your God in my presence?"

Astrid barely nodded her dropped head, embarrassed once again for mistakenly saying something.

Erick jerked her arm forcefully once again. "Do not ever speak of your God again! You know how I feel about Christians!" He shouted aggressively, releasing the grip from Astrid's arm. "Return to your work, slave."