Chapter 10: Setting Sail

A deep throbbing pain came from the side of Astrid's face as she pushed herself up from the pallet on the floor after a long night of tossing and turning filled with unpleasant thoughts. She brought her stiff arm up to her face and began tracing her fingertips along her swollen eye and cheek. Pain surged through the nerves with each touch, causing her to wince in pain.

It was the day she would be setting sail with the Northmen to conquer new lands in northern France. Regret and discouragement filled Astrid's heart, leaving her with no will to fight; no will to do anything.

Jezebel came through the curtains that hung at the doorway of Erick's room. Her face held a gleam of happiness as she stretched he arms upward, letting out a sigh of relief while she stretched. Astrid grew angry at the sight of her happiness. Not long after Jezebel emerged, Erick followed after her, just as excited and pleased as she was. She turned to face the wall in disgust when she saw them come into a romantic embrace. Romance made Astrid sick at the sight of it.

"Go and take those weapons onto the boats, Astrid." Erick called out, planting a kiss onto Jezebel's head. "Make yourself useful."

Astrid glanced over her shoulder at him, revealing the good side of her face. She seen his arm make a quick jolt, motioning her to leave and quick.

"Yes, sire." She responded simply, turning on point to fetch the bundles of weapons wrapped in thick animal furs that she had wrapped the day before, which were stored by the door, remaining to keep her face hidden.

After taking all of the heavy bundles she could into her arms, she headed off back down the village path, just as she had the night before. People had now emerged, hugging and kissing their loved ones just as if it would be the last time they would. Men were drinking ale and mead, attempting to drunken themselves enough to make it through the day. Children played in the village center, the same place where the adults were learning how to fight, with miniature wooden swords and shields. Young, single women wore their best dresses, in hopes to catch the eye of a bachelor man before they went off to battle. Astrid fell in the midst of the crowd, fitting in for the most part.

It was around seven in the morning. The morning sky held colors of pink and orange glowing from the bright yellow-orange sun. A bright blue background held firmly behind the pink glowing casts. Steams of wispy clouds covered the morning sky, inheriting the illuminating colors. The world itself was still. No breeze blew. Everything stood calmly and serene around Astrid as she hiked the hill once again.

On the other side of he hill was the opposite. Men were shouting back and forth to each other. Objects were being tossed from one boat to the next. The longboats swayed from side to side as they were being loaded by the men in the ports walking across the plank boards connecting them from boat to boat and from the shore and docks. One after another people would come dashing from the walk, gathering more supplies up and carrying it onto a ship. Astrid stepped out onto the deck and began making her way to one of the plank bridges to board a boat. Soon a large group of men had taken the bundles from her, leaving her standing with nothing to do. She began surveying her surroundings, taking in every detail she possibly could before setting sail on a ship for who knew how long.

The ships were a simple design made from wood but with intricate details of carvings along the hull. The white cloth sails were made with woven wool, hovering right above the twenty rowing benches. Astrid assumed that thirty to forty men could fit onto the boats. The crew's shields adorned the gunwales, held in place by a shield rack outboard of the ship, keeping them out of the way and giving some protection against wind and waves.

Off in the distance, Astrid caught a glimpse of Bard and Knute walking down the bank conversing happily with each other. Solid hate burned in her heart towards Bard, she felt not much better toward Knute. She wove her way through the tight, noisy crowd of people hurriedly, attempting to make it out before the men found her.