Chapter 22: A New Awakening

"Astrid?" Deman spoke, knocking on the door of her chamber. "I would like to talk with you."

Astrid glanced up from the small piece of linen that she had been embroidering and looked at the door hesitantly with a nervous pit building at the bottom of her stomach. She made her way toward the door, creaking it open slightly. Deman stood poised wearing an black tunic accessorized with silver accents.

"Yes?" Astrid asked, raising her brow.

Deman cleared his throat and placed his hand upon his stomach.

"I fear that you are angered with me since I placed you as a leader of the court." Deman began, melting into a saddened expression. "I am dearly sorry about anything that I have done to wrong you." He reached his hand outward. "Please forgive me."

Astrid stared at him confused and shook her head.

"Why do you feel that I am angered?" She asked, putting her hand in Deman's.

"you have not came out of your chamber for eight days."

Astrid smiled, dropping her hands to her sides. "I am not angry. I just want to be alone." She cocked her head to the side and averted her eyes from Deman's sincere gaze. "So much has happened to me and I am still trying to clear my mind from it all. It is nothing against you, I promise. I-I," she looked back at Deman. "Am only thinking."

Deman nodded in agreement. "Think all you like, Astrid." He turned away from her. "If you need anything just call for me."

Astrid watched him as he started to walk away. "Deman."

He quickly turned with concern. "Yes?"

"Would you stay and talk with me?" Astrid asked, crossing her arms over her chest. "That is if you are not busy and do not mind."

Deman nodded with a smile as he walked into the room.

"Forgive me but I will not be able to stay very long." Deman spoke gently, walking to the bed where he sat down on the corner. "What is it that you want to say?"

Astrid opened her mouth to speak and looked around at the objects of the room.

"Why have you treated me so nicely?" Arid asked, looking out of the bright window. "You were not entitled to do anything for me?"

Deman laughed slightly as he looked down at his lap. "Because you were in need." he stated, arose and walked towards Astrid. "And we as Christians must help our fellow neighbors." Deman's green eyes melted with sincerity. "I do not wish to ask you questions that you do not want to answer but I find the need to know if you are a Christian."

Astrid glanced up hesitantly. She stared into his dim green eyes, thinking.

"I do not confess any religion." Astrid bluntly replied, looking back down at her hands that were placed upon the cool window sill. "I have been away from God so long that I do not know if he is there."

"Then are you a pagan?"

Astrid shook her head. "I am nothing but a shell." She mumbled, wringing her hands together. "I do not even have a heart left."

The sound of silence fell over the room. Astrid felt her heart sink each time Deman looked at her with his tender smile.

"I cannot make you believe in anything." Deman said, braking the silence. "But there is place I would like to show you."