Ch. 9: Haunting Memories Resurface

Quinn's POV:

A few weeks had passed since the Valentine's Day and Nessa hasn't given up the idea of meeting my family. Today was no exception.

"Babe, meeting my family just isn't a good idea." I stated as we ate the dinner we prepared together.

"I don't get why it's such a big deal." She protested. "Are they homophobic or something?"

"No...well kinda but that's not the problem." I said honestly. "Can we just let it go for tonight, please?"

She looked at me with understanding, "Alright." She smiled. "So how was work?"

****

We talked casually throughout dinner and it wasn't long before we were lying in our bed, exhausted from the struggles of the day. In no time we drifted to sleep in each other's arms.

~•~•~•~

"Quinn! Quinn come back!" she called eagerly from behind me.

"I'm never going back to him mom!!" I yelled with tear filled eyes and sprinted faster.

"Sweetheart, your father didn't mean any of that!" She tried to reason with me as she chased me down the empty street.

"Yeah, just like he never meant it any of the other times!" I choked out as I tired to escape my pursuer.

"Quinn!" I heard her directly behind me.

'Dammit...why did she have to be a track star in high school.' I thought to myself.

I expected to be stopped and in my mom's embrace but I was shocked when, instead, I was being shoved roughly to the side. In a bright flash I felt my face hit the dirt on the side of the road and the eardrum shattering sound of tires screeching against the pavement.

I picked myself up from the ground but quickly collapsed to my knees. My head was throbbing from the fall and my vision was blurry. I turned to the road and saw the taillights of a car drive off in the distance.

"Mom? What just happened?" I asked in vain. "Mom?" I asked again but only received silence in return.

I turned to look at the road behind me and saw, with my blurry vision, a body lying in the middle of my street. My head was still throbbing and everything sounded like I was underwater. My world was spinning but I didn't know just yet that everything was about to collapse.

I hazily crawled over to the middle of the road where the unknown body was located. And in that moment when I laid my eyes on the blood covered body, my world crumbled beneath me. At first it was difficult to recognize her face because of all the blood but I knew it was my mom, I didn't want to accept it but I knew...

I moved her torso onto my lap so that I could embrace her as the blood soaked my clothes. My eyes frantically searched her body, looking for sources where blood poured out but I wasn't able to pinpoint anything besides a large gash across her hairline.

"M-Mom?!" I desperately cried out hoping my voice would reach her.

"Sweetie..." she choked out.

"Somebody help!!!" I screamed into the silent night. "Somebody help us!!! Please!!" I kept my head on a swivel frantically searching for a sign of life but there was nothing.