Ch.1

Vanessa's POV:

I straightened out my work uniform one last time before clipping on my name tag that said "Vanessa" in boring black print. After brushing my long golden hair I gave myself a nod of approval and dashed towards the door. Barely making it a few steps, suddenly I went crashing to the floor accompanied by the harsh echo of my guitar slamming into the ground.

"Of course I faceplant onto the ground and make myself late." I thought to myself. "Is 5'10 considered tall enough to use it as an excuse for my clumsiness? Probably not."

I dusted myself off and checked my guitar for any injuries, and thankfully it was unharmed. Singing and playing instruments have always been an escape for me. It's always been my safe place, somewhere I could express myself freely with no worries. Singing in front of people isn't my cup of tea though. I'd rather not let the judgement of other people ruin my bliss.

I set my guitar back on it's stand next to the table where my family portrait was. Seeing that portrait always gave me a mix of emotions, from happy and nostalgic to sad and lonely. My family used to be the closest people to me but now all I really have is myself. My parents died in a fatal car crash a year ago, during my sophomore year of college. The trauma of it all was too much to handle and juggle school at the same time so I ended up dropping out. My brother Joseph is in the navy so I hardly see him except when he's on leave.

Currently, I've been working three jobs to sustain myself. I work as a waitress most days, at a martial arts dojo at the front desk (I did pick up a few things from sitting around and watching though), and a guitar instructor part time. Considering going back to college hasn't been an option for me since I'm already working three jobs and the money I make barely covers my expenses and bills.

Wow my life sounds depressing as hell.

'Don't forget that you're coming to the game with me tonight!' A text from my friend Kathleen pulled me out of my depressive thoughts.

Kathleen and I have known each other since pre-Kindergarden. She knows everything about me and I to her. Well almost everything, I haven't even been able to bring myself to sing in front of her. But that's just a minor thing.

'I wouldn't miss it!' I text back then head out the door.