Forty-Four

The next day when Sasuke came to visit Shion, he took the stairs. Climbing up a few floors was better than spending an hour being stuck in the elevator. That too, without (Name).

That night had been a sleepless one for him. He spent the entire night thinking about his conversation with her. Itachi and Shion fighting had created a very tense atmosphere. Whenever Itachi came, which was very often, they could almost feel the temperature drop and an awkward silence spread across.

Itachi and Shion loved each other more than anything else. So much, that they were always smiling around each other. They had hardly had any rough patches in their relationship and they would always overcome those effortlessly and together. This was the first time their fight had lasted for so long. Sasuke knew that one only gets angry with someone he loves. Itachi wasn't wrong when he got angry. But he should also forgive the one he loves so dearly.

As Sasuke walked up to Shion's room, he saw a weird sight. Itachi was standing right outside her room and peering through the square glass on the door. His knees were bent and he was slightly bending downwards. It was a weird posture, quite funny even. Then Sasuke realized it. Itachi was trying to hide himself while watching Shion.

Itachi was frowning deeply. The expression on his face made him look years older than he truly was. Sasuke knew that expression. It was Itachi's thinking face. Sasuke could guess what his brother was thinking about. He cleared his throat.

Itachi ignored him. Maybe, he was so busy creeping up on his wife that he didn't even hear it.

Sasuke cleared his throat once again, but louder. Itachi almost jumped at that sound. He looked around frantically until his eyes settled on Sasuke. Sasuke smirked at him and stood while leaning his weight on one foot and crossing his arms over his chest.

Itachi coughed awkwardly. "H-hey, little brother. What are you doing here ?" he said.

Sasuke smirked widely. "Don't even try to pretend you weren't just creeping up on Shion." Sasuke said.

Itachi inhaled sharply as he tried to think of ways to get Sasuke to keep his mouth shut. "If you be quiet about this, I won't tell (Name) about the pictures you clicked of her when she fell asleep on the couch the other day." Itachi said, smiling at his brother.

Sasuke's smirk dropped. "How do you know that ?" he asked.

"I have my ways."

Sasuke gave Itachi a hard look. "Blackmailing isn't a very nice hobby." he said.

"Neither is clicking pictures of your crush while she sleeps."

"As if spying on your wife is very nice." Sasuke paused. "Wait, how do you know I like her ?" Sasuke's eyes widened as he realized his slip-up. "No, I didn't mean--" He saw the smile on Itachi's face and groaned. It was too late to even try to deny it. Itachi knew.

"Like I said, little brother. I have my ways." said Itachi. "Besides, I'm sure nobody misses the way you look at her."

Sasuke's jaw dropped.

"I'm only kidding." said Itachi with a small smile.

Sasuke glared at him. Itachi subtly glanced back at the door. But Sasuke noticed the longing look in his eyes.

"If it troubles you that much, you should just go talk to her." he said.

Itachi looked back at Sasuke with the smile no longer on his face. He sighed and looked down. Sasuke understood that Itachi was not going to say anything.

"I know this was way too careless of her, but forgive her. She realizes her mistake. You don't have to be so hard on her." Sasuke said. He himself couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth. Between Shion and Itachi, he wasn't sure who he preferred more. But he never thought he would side with Shion.