Birthday Chapter (2)

"Happy birthday." the whole hall chorused as Sasuke cut the cake with a smile on his face - fake, of course.

"Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules and coming here." he said, again, with a smile.

In the crowd, he saw Naruto make a puke face at Sasuke's smile. His face hardened as he quickly made his way over to Naruto and smacked him on the head while nobody was looking. Naruto cried out in pain.

"What is your problem ?" Sasuke hissed.

"If you think you have all these people fooled by your super fake smile, then--"

"Uchiha Sasuke looks even cooler when he smiles !" said a girl.

"I know, right ?" said her friend as they walked past Naruto and Sasuke. There was quite some distance between them,  but enough for Naruto and Sasuke to overhear their conversation.

Sasuke smirked truimphantly as Naruto shut up and frowned.

"Exceptions always exist." said Naruto as he started walking away. "I'm going to get food. Are you coming ?" he asked Sasuke.

But Sasuke shook his head. "I have to go greet some guests." said Sasuke, and started walking around the hall.

He smiled and politely greeted everyone whose eyes met his, everyone who wished him - something he had practised and perfected over the years. Behind that smile, he wanted to do anything but socialize. He'd rather sit at home and watch shitty  than be there. But, of course, he wouldn't let anyone know that and spoil his perfect image.

Subconsciously, though, he kept looking for a certain someone, who he was almost sure that had not turned up. Instead, he found someone who made him want to stop everything, drop his act, and run in the opposite direction.

"Hello, birtday boy." said Shion with a huge grin on her face.

Itachi, right beside her, was also smiling widely. Sasuke frowned a little at them. When it came to those two, it was almost as if they were super-glued to each other, because they were always together. And always smiling too, as if they knew something that would destroy him, which he did not know.

They were also dressed to match each other. Of course, there was a dress code for Sasuke's party, which was dark blue with black or white. But Shion was wearing an icy blue dress, which looked very good on her due to her fair complexion. Itachi was wearing the same coloured tie to match it. Shion was also carrying a silver glitterly purse which Sasuke was sure, knowing Shion, would be misplaced by her till the end of the celebration.

"Hello." said Sasuke. "Glad that you could make it." he said.

"Oh, your words contradict your expression, dear." said Shion with a small laugh.

Sasuke rolled his eyes. "Where's my present ?" he asked.

"We just put it away with the other presents stacked in the corned of the hall." said Itachi.

Sasuke slightly pouted, but did his very best to hide it. More than half of the presents he got every year, he sent them to orphanages and charities, because he did not need that much, and most of it was useless to him. He'd rather have someone use it than let it rot in the storeroom of their house.

"Just kidding." said Itachi with a small laugh. "Shion has it." Itachi looked at Shion.

Shion nodded and reached in her purse for a cuboidal wrapped present. On it, she had written with fancy curvy hand-writing, birthday wishes to Sasuke.

"Here." she said and handed it to Sasuke, who took it while thanking her softly.

"A book ?" Sasuke wondered out loud as he examined it.