Chapter One

O N E

It was my fifteenth birthday when my father stepped off his pedestal.

He wasn't old - not at all. He looked not a day over thirty-five and was as healthy as can be. I guess he just wanted to "retire" or whatever. But guess who took over the pack?

Yours truly.

And let me tell you, running a pack is hard. A pack is equivalent to a nation - I'm practically the president of the United States. Everybody is counting on you to be the best leader possible. Sometimes, I wonder what the heck the fates were doing when they marked me as alpha.

They were probably getting high by sniffing sharpies.

Why couldn't my brother be the alpha of our pack? My brother - Jimmy - is such or I should say is more of a leader than I am, or could ever become. He has this aura about him that screams power. While I just scream... absolutely nothing.

So on the day I turned fifteen, I remember my parents coming to my room in the early hours of the morning. And just so you know, they haven't taken the whole me-being-an-alpha thing to the heart yet. They both still can't believe I'm alpha - well neither can I.

Anyway, that morning, they walked into my room and did the normal birthday junk - you know, congratulations etcetera. But the distinct thing that I remember was my mom's face. They say the eyes are the windows to the soul - her's looked beyond haunted.

Her usual lively skin had turned a ghostly pale shade. She had what she would normally call "worry lines" - winkles are the correct terms - which she finds defies age and yet she had them upon herself.

This had scared me a little.

"Ginger, to - today is the day honey..." I remember her telling me. "You become alpha today."

It was all a façade. Her voice, the emotion, all that enthusiasm - it was all so fake. It didn't sound like my mom. My father was just the same. They were acting so strange; they probably weren't even happy it was my birthday.

Three years later - it's still the same. Sure I've gained a whole lot of respect and have gotten a lot stronger. I'm actually realizing that I'm not half bad at being alpha.

But my parents still can't swallow a simple fact: I'm alpha... I was born one.

***

"Ginger!"

"What?"

"Pack meeting!"

I groaned in annoyance. I swear, it's like I lead a meeting every day. It's not that I don't like it... Just that I have to lead them. And they aren't as fun as you'd think.

They - meaning the elders, pack members, and the kids who haven't shifted - all have to sit in a huge circle surrounding me. At first, the pressure was... Well there was a whole lot of pressure. But now the meetings are merely a daily day to day thing - I'm used to it.

As I walk into the meeting room, all eyes are on me. My pack rise's from their seats in respect. I walk to my seat and sit down.

How the whole entire pack fits in here... I have no clue. To the right of me is the council of elders and on my left is immediate family, meaning - my parents and brother.

Did I mention that Jimmy is my beta? Well now I did.

The meeting passed with a blur; I uses my "alpha" voice a few times and I find it pretty funny how even people older than me, have to obey me. Then again, they had to. We discuss random subjects like rouges, when the young ones will be taking their first shifts, and the next moonlight run.