Chapter Twenty-Eight

T W E N T Y - E I G H T

I try to move out of Maddox's grasp, but I'm stuck.

I glance down at my body, seeing my a*s strapped to a wooden chair with ropes tied all around my torso. As I take a closer look, I realize that these aren't just any old ropes... these are lethal. He strapped me down with rope used back then to restrain wild wolves.

With this realization, I take a sharp inhale of air.

I look up at Maddox and narrow my eyes at him. "What did you do to me?"

He waves his hand around as if he did nothing wrong, which I knew was a total lie. The reason this rope is so lethal is because when it touches werewolf skin, it burns us. I didn't know all the chemistry behind it, but it had metals in it that are poisonous to werewolves. But it was also something I had only ever read in old books.

No one has had any rope of this kind in forever... well, except for now.

"Where did you get this rope?" I ask, being careful not to rub against it too hard.

"We had to keep you in that chair," he sounds so proud it makes me nauseous. "And I was willing to do it by any means necessary. As for the rope, I've been saving it for... a special occasion."

I struggled to find my words, "You shouldn't have any of this - this -"

"We told you, Ginger; you still have much to learn."

I freeze.

Out of the shadows, Maddox's brother walks towards us. Maurus gives me a smile, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"I told you before that we aren't like you," he says, crossing his arms over his chest. "We can touch silver and that stupid rope - we can do things you can't do."

Looking at the brothers before me, I feel a wave of unease flow over me. My mind flashes back to when they took me from the campground - when they killed Olivia.

Before they took me, I remember how they said they weren't like me - they weren't the same monsters as me. They were worse. I thought that I knew everything I had to know about our world, but apparently I didn't. When they entered my mind, I was at a loss for words.

As werewolves, we have the ability to speak mentally to our packs. Along with that, we are also able to put up barriers to block out thoughts we don't want to hear. But I had never heard of an outsider being able to infiltrate minds like the Kronin brothers.

I thought they were like me, but I've realize that we're nothing alike.

And that's what scares me the most.

"What are you two?" I spit out with curses.

"I think our little Ginger's getting mad," Maddox has the nerve to say and twists behind to look at his brother. "Should we tell her yet?"

Maurus rolls his eyes. "You're the one who wanted her so bad."

"Hmm... well we are werewolves, but there's more to it than that."

I scrunch my eyebrows together. What the h*ll does that even mean? How can you be more than just a werewolf? Unless...

"When my brother and I were born," Maddox starts off, to what I am assuming is, his story, "there weren't many like us. In fact, I think it was maybe just a few others - am I right, Maurus?"

He nods his head, but I open my mouth to protest.

"What do you mean -"

But Maddox cuts me off, "As I was saying, we were one of the few werewolves around during our time and thus were out-casted by the world. They didn't know what we were, they didn't understand us. Even our own parents abandoned us. We had to learn how to thrive and survive on our own.