Chapter 10: Leaving Home

"Hyde, I'm going to be frank, L is dead."

L was dead. The words hit me like a stab in the gut. Lawliet was dead. My mentor, was dead. Kira, wherever you're hiding I will find you and I will eliminate you. If L couldn't be justice, then I would be. The thought hit me like a speeding train. How cold Kira do this? How could he kill people without the bat of an eye. Mello snapped his fingers to get me out of my thoughts.

"Hey, are you listening to me?" There was something in his eyes that I'd never seen before this moment. Fear.

"H-How do you know?" I stuttered, trying to hold in the tears that threatened to roll down my face.

"Roger told us."

"Us?"

"Near and I. L was deciding on which one of us to choose as his successors. In the end, he chose Near." L's successors? The candidates were Mello and Near. Not me. My sadness was replaced with a throbbing anger. How could L not even have considered me? After all we had been through. He knew I was smart, he knew I could make the right choice when it came down to it and I was willing to do whatever was needed.

"How could he choose between you and Near?"

"Well, L never actually made a final decision but I backed out and g-"

"How could he just forget about me like that?"

"He didn't forget about you, Hyde." Mello said softly, "He just wanted you to be safe, and so do I." I glanced up at him in confusion. "And that brings us to my offer. I'm leaving this place. I hate it here. They don't really care about us, they're just trying to make us a bunch of superhuman freaks. You know that all too well. Hyde, you can see what's going on under the surface yet you choose to ignore it. It has to stop. Matt is coming with me. Before they brought him here he had a place in the Mafia." My eyes widened,

"What? How?"

"Matt never told you what his parents did, did he? Anyway, we're running away from here to the U.S. where we can't be found. I want you to come with us."

"But, what about Near?"

"He'll be fine. He's L's successor, remember? Wammy's will set him up to work with some government organization. No more questions. Hyde, just come with me!" His tone was dead serious. I thought through my options, even though I didn't have that many. First, I could run away and join Mello and Matt, away from this place I secretly hated. Or I could stay here, Near would be here, but not for long. I would be alone again, in the dark. I nodded slowly,

"Ok, I'll go with you. When do we leave?"

"In one hour."

"Do I get to say goodbye to Near?"

"I'm afraid not, we can't let him know were leaving. By the way, you might want a costume change."

"And what's wrong with my outfit right now." my eyes glazed over my traditional white dress. It was pretty girly and frilly, and a pain to get paint out of. "Aright, I see your point. I'll be at the front gates in an hour." Mello nodded and left.

As soon as I heard the door click shut I sprung off my bed and opened my dresser drawer. It was bare save for a few brightly colored blouses and a black button down I had from my mother to 'grow into'. It would do the trick just fine. As I lifted the dress over my head I noticed a small rip in the fabric. Well, can't let that go to waste. I thought, I tore the seam and singled out a soft piece which I pleated and tucked into my collar as a cravat. I had a leather jacket with tons of useless pockets on both the inside and out. It would come in handy. I also wore a pair of dark jeans and combat boots before I closed the door behind me with nothing but a small sketchbook, a pencil and Near's letter and our contract in my pocket. I began to leave but my pace slowed in front of L's room.