7. Cookies, contracts and first fights

"I love it when you look at my cookies like they are the best thing in the whole world and then you smile that contagious smile of yours and I want to bake everything and anything to get another one of your smile." - Alex

(Logan)

Logan was very tired and his head was pounding as he stopped his car. It was a long day, and a very long meeting and Alex was constantly on the front of his brain, messing up with his mind.

He felt like there were a thousand knots on his shoulders and everything in his body ached. He opened the door and his body instantly went loose and light, when he smelled what felt like thousand different aromas suffused in the air.

It smelled warm. Like home. It smelled different and he liked it.

He didn't know how he had lived so long in this big house, all alone, and how he was able to walk inside the dark house after every day of work.

Now the lights were on and there was laughter in the kitchen. Alex's followed by a man's.

Now, his body went rigid again, as he walked to the kitchen trying to maintain his calm. It wouldn't do to kill the man she had in his kitchen, but he had to know who that was.

The man was bent under the table. And there was no sign of Alex, as well. "Alex, I am sorry I did this to Logan." A very familiar voice said. Daniel.

What were they doing under the table?

"For God's sake, Daniel, don't worry. It is alright."

"I am so sorry about this. You know."

What were they talking about?

"Just pick it up already. I have another batch in the oven." And then she stood up, her hair flying everywhere and her face was half covered with flour and she jumped up and pressed her hand to her heart when he cleared his throat.

"God, you gave me a heart attack. When did you come? For a moment I thought it was a serial killer or something." She said as she rubbed her hands. "Oh, sorry for this mess. It is your friend."

"Hey, you made some mess, too."

"What are you two doing?"

"I was reading books. And then he came, I thought he was an intruder and he stole the cookies I baked. He wanted me to teach him to make cookies and then he burnt his batch and stole some more from yours. And then he spilled the flour and knocked down a tray of cookies and God, I can go for another hour." She said as she looked up at him. "How was your day? Is your meeting go alright?"

And he melted when she asked that with her eyes filled with eagerness and concern.

"Yes. Of course." He said with a smirk. "They would be lucky to work with me."

"Oh, of course, you smug little jerk." She said with a teasing smile.

He heard a ding. "Oh, it is done." She clapped her hands like a kid. She put on her mitten and took the steaming tray out from the oven. She put it on the counter. "We will let it cool." She said and narrowed her eyes when Daniel was trying to steal a cookie from her tray.

"Daniel, don't you dare touch it. It is for Logan." She slapped his hand away. "You already ate a whole damn batch."

Logan felt his heart swelling when she said that.