Episode Three - Chapter 12: Room To Fall

Louis' POV

I felt a tiny trickle of sweat run down my temple. I was sitting on the black leather couch backstage at the Teen Choice Awards watching the re-run of the lads and I perform not even twenty minutes earlier. I hadn’t felt like myself for over six months now, and tonight was definitely no exception. My poker face sung the words to our new single, which we were supposed to be pumped to sing live for the very first time. I think it was fair to say that I looked quite the opposite of pumped, and it was in none of my intentions. “Louis?” A soft familiar voice called around the corner. I peered up to see Lou snuggling into a little Lux in tears. This little girl and I seemed to share a bond like no other. “What’s the matter my little pumpkin? Come here you!” I got up with my arms wide open ready to receive the little girl who brought out the best in me. When Eleanor used to see me with Lux, she would dwell on the fact that I would apparently make a wonderful father one day. “I think she’s just tired Louis, but I can’t get her to have a little nap. She’s just being grumpy!” Lou put her hands on her hips, hoping I could give her a hand with the little munchkin. I kissed away the tear on her chubby little cheek, before my fingers crept up under her arm for a tickle. “I think I can see it! Oh. Nope. It’s gone.” I said teasing her. “Oh, here we go, I think I see a grin!” I kept tickling. “I saw a tooth! Did you see that mum?! A tooth!” Lux let a small smile out before bursting into uncanny laughter. The sound of her giggles brought me much joy and caused me to forget the rest of the world. The world she still had find herself in. Of course my phone had to start ringing, but it was only Harry. “I’m in the dressing room mate, isn’t that the first place a NORMAL person would look?” I presumed he was questioning my whereabouts before he could even say anything into the receiver. “I’ll meet you there...” He sounded serious before hanging up. “Teen Choice Winners got somewhere to be?” Lou questioned as she removed a happier Lux from my arms. I slightly nodded in worry of what Harry was about to tell me. 

Sitting back down on the leather couch, I wondered whether texting the other lads would be a good idea. I ended up deciding against it, thinking if Harry wanted them there, he would have sent out a message to them as well. The door opened in a quiet manner, causing a squeak at the hinges. It was aery considering we were in a building with about a hundred thousand other people, but it only takes one, just one, to make it all come tumbling down. Which I was expecting at any moment. ‘Erm...hey...” Harry walked in. “What happened now?” “Oh nothing...I’m just hottie of the year....” He winked. “WEY HEY!” I laughed and gave him a hug to congratulate him. “You had me worried mate!” “I know, that’s why I did it.” He winked. It seemed as though Harry was trying to always brighten the mood, taking on the role as the joker in the band. It helped to have him filling in for me, because usually that was my job. “So...what are we watching?” He looked up at the screen and pushed his hair back off his forehead, which was his latest trend for that curly mop of his. “How crap my performance was tonight...sorry for letting the team down.” I said looking down. “Hey! Stop! We don’t do that! It was a good first performance!” After Red and Black, as a band we had stopped trying to pick ourselves apart. It was a pact that we had made, and right now, I was breaking it. All I could do was sit in silence, because I could not agree nor disagree with what he was saying. Harry eventually cleared his throat “So have you seen the others?” “I have no idea where they disappeared to, I know Liam and Niall were thinking about getting a flight back home tonight though, so not sure if they’re busy making arrangements.” “Ah, come on! It’s party time!” Harry got up and began searching the dressing room for any signs of them. The buzz on the coffee table caught him dead in his tracks, as did I. We both looked at each other. “It’s probably one of them now!” He said with a sudden shrug and picked up his phone. I knew that look on his face. Unfortunately, all too well. 

**Flying high for too long is bound to leave you with more room to fall - just ask Liam and Niall. Oh wait, it’s a little too late - A.**

Without saying, Harry and I rushed out the dressing room, in need of confirmation that everyone was alright. We spotted Zayn walking back with that Lucy Hale girl that was presenting tonight. I got goosebumps in how much she resembled the once beautiful Taylah, and I was guessing that this was the reason he was intrigued by her. Interrupting Zayn and Lucy mid-conversation, I yanked him by his shirt, trying not to be rude in front of the young actress. “Sorry, love. We just need to steal hot stuff here for one quick moment!” I tried to smile politely at her, but the atmosphere everywhere around me was judging me for my fake stance. Harry showed Zayn the text he had received, whilst I directed the driver back to the hotel in which we were staying. “I bet A’s sitting watching us, having a laugh, because yet again, we’re in a panic.” Harry said as we were headed towards the hotel, with hope. “Does A ever do things to have a laugh Harry?” Zayn said softly and tried to ring Liam and Niall. No luck.

We rushed past the dedicated fans that were waiting so patiently for a glimpse of our arrival at the hotel. No doubt this would be in tomorrow’s news, but we couldn’t think of that at this stage. Harry was trying to find his room key to activate the elevator when the tv screen above the check-in desk caught my eye. I froze immediately. 

“In breaking news, a passenger plane has crashed into the surroundings of the Grand Canyon, shortly after take off from Los Angeles, California. It is believed the major aircraft was en route to London before an engine failure occurred in three out of four engines. The fatalities are not yet known, but it is highly believed that there will be no survivors.”

“They weren’t on that plane...” Harry whispered slowly after minutes of us standing in the lobby, no words being exchanged. “They’ll still be here....that was an earlier flight...” I nodded and walked towards our rooms on the eighteenth floor. We entered all of our rooms, including our band and crew members, only to find no signs of Liam, Niall or their belongings.