Episode One - Chapter 3: Chasing Shadows

Liam POV:

As soon as the envelope opened my phone lit up in my pocket but I threw my hand down at it covering any sign of the message as I watched Zayn break down a little more, I walked out of the room and into the kitchen with the boys starring daggers at the picture. I knew that place; it was on the tip of my tongue. I pulled my phone out and saw a text message from the big bitch A, I wasn’t surprised considering I had been getting a few more of these than usual lately, leading me to places that were irrelevant or so I thought.

*My favourite little liar Liam, if you don’t want Perrie’s DNA all over Zayn’s room you better find her. – A*

I racked my brain for a moment trying to unlock the memory buried within the back of my mind but I needed to look at the photo again so I marched back out to the others snatching the photograph from them trying not to get my finger prints on the page. I ignored the comments on my rudeness and inspected the photo thoroughly “this was taken tonight” I said turning the photo to face them all “how can you be sure?” Louis piped up. “Look at the date and the time in the corner of the photo, it was taken an hour ago tonight and I know just where this is” I said grabbing the closet keys and pulling Zayn’s arm with me as the others were left clueless as ever “Liam?!”. Zayn was blanked faced as I pulled him down to his car shoving him in one side and sitting back in the driver’s seat on my side. “Zayn she’s alive and we are going to find her I promise” he looked at me with vacant eyes and simply stated “since when do you drive?” “Since now” I put my foot down hitting the pedal to the floor and speeding off.

Zayn sat starring out the window not saying a word as my phone lit up the car with calls from Louis, Harry and Niall we didn’t even need the radio with the constant sounds of my different ring tones. After a while Zayn picked up the phone and turned it off slamming it back down into place “hey don’t kill my phone Zayn!” I said a little flustered about the whole situation. “Liam where are we going and how do you know this is going to be where she is?” he brought up the questions I had been going over in my mind the last fifteen minutes like clockwork. The last few weeks I had been getting messaged by A sending me to random places that really made no sense at all, I figured that they were just screwing with my mind  giving me pieces to a completely different puzzle to fit in; but this place was different I was led there by a person. “Well, I know because I followed someone here the other week” he looked at me and I could see confusion paint his face as clear as ever from the corner of my eye. “I got a text from A to go to Allison’s apartment at 2am the other night so I drove over there and sat outside until I saw Allison... she looked really out of it...” I explained and as I drove the whole scene seemed to be playing out on the windshield of the car.

Allison jumped into a car with someone who seemed to be a female but I couldn’t be sure, however Allison didn’t seem all with it but then again neither was I. I looked down at the red block numbers illuminating the cabin of the car, 2am was a ridiculous time to be doing this but A had told me to follow her. The other car started their engine sounding as loud as the roaring of a lion however during any other time I would have been as quiet as a mouse. They sped down the road so I followed trying to keep up without attracting police attention due to the fact that I actually hadn’t gone for my driver’s test yet. I was caught behind them at a red light and I could see a vague outline of the driver, that hair seemed familiar but I could have been seeing things, I must have been seeing things. I drove around the block twice before following them again trying to keep as far out of sight as possible but the car stopped pulling over into a park. Allison jumped out still dazed and the car took off, she went over to the gate and pushed it open. I turned the car off and followed although it wasn’t until I made it to the gate that I realised it wasn’t a park I was entering, it was a cemetery... I ran further forward remembering the last time I had seen Allison in one of these I had lost her. “Allison?!” I yelled out for her looking in every direction and then I heard something thud to the ground, I ran through a bunch of over grown hedges and found Allison passed out at a tomb stone. The grave was empty but the tomb stone read Allison Dickson.

Zayn interrupted my thoughts asking the questions that had been snowballing in my head “what was Allison doing getting into that car?! Do you think it was A? Liam... what if you weren’t there that night?” I let out a breath and ran my free hand through my hair. “I honestly think she was sleep walking the whole time, she was unaware of what was happening Zayn” I said looking at him with my blood shot eyes. “You’ve been outside her house ever since haven’t you?” I kept my silence and that was enough for him to understand why I had been so out of it the past few weeks. I pulled up to the gate I had imprinted into my mind ever since the first time I came here but we weren’t alone. The car I had followed last time was left one door open, keys in ignition and lights on right in front of the fence casting all sorts of shadows into the cemetery. Zayn sprinted over to it as I turned the car off and followed, “is there anything here?” I asked as Zayn searched the car and pulled up a wallet, he pulled out the ID and my eyes were as big as the circled shadows spread out on the fence from the car lights. “Danielle?” I let out in barely a whisper, I took off in a sprint to where I last saw Allison passed out over that empty grave and I heard Zayn running after me.

I broke through the bushes coming to the spot but the grave was filled with no sign of Allison’s tomb stone. After a moment of standing in the shadows of the bushes I felt Zayn run into me but that wasn’t what caught my attention, it was the figure I saw running to my right. “Come on” I rushed to Zayn as I made my way through the maze of tomb stones; I wasn’t going to lose this race now. Zayn was struggling to keep up and I didn’t blame him I had been a champion runner at school. I was so focused on the figure in front of me that I hadn’t realised the shadow beside me running parallel into the bushes, I stopped to catch my breath and Zayn caught up in that time. “Zayn go that way, someone is running over there I’ll go ahead” he nodded and sprinted off. They were trying to loop around back to the car so I decided to wait in the shadows of a nearby tree; their footsteps reminded me of the games we use to play as kids in the neighbourhood I lived in late at night but this one seemed to have a more cynical ending. The figure ran passed the tree the moment I jumped out tackling them to the ground, they struggled and started screaming out from help I was assuming from their partner, I had them pinned as I yelled out for Zayn. “Liam?!” I heard the person speak as I turned them around and pulled their hood off, “Danielle?!” I got up and backed away hitting the tree seeing Perrie coming into the clearing from one direction and Zayn from another. “What is going on here?!” Zayn yelled out at Perrie and Danielle but my mind couldn’t take this, they were A... “Danielle why did you try to kill Allison twice?” I said with my fists clenched and tears in my eyes but no answers were given because sometimes you get caught in a web of lies, instead of catching others you catch yourself.

*And they say she’s in the class A Team – A*