Episode Two - Chapter 6: Suspicion Always Haunts the Guilty Mind

Zayn POV:

The last few weeks had been so heavy weighing down everything as if the storm cloud from Mario Kart was sitting over my head threatening to zap me and show me just how small I am compared to the rest of the world and it was succeeding in just that. I hadn’t been able to sleep ever since the night we decided to play hide and go seek in the cemetery, I had no idea who I could trust and who I couldn’t... everything I touched turned into a lie and it was becoming beyond bearable. I thought Taylah would be the last of it but clearly A was out for blood and as much of it as they could spill. It had only occurred to me on the way home that nothing Perrie said matched up with the events but I was too tired to even fight her on this. I had gotten back into my old ways smoking the day away trying to release some tension that was constantly built up within me, I was like a jack in the box so tightly wound that the lightest of touches would set me off.

Louis had called me earlier that day convincing me that the only way to get back on my feet is to be out and about in the hustle and bustle in the nightlife of the big city. I had agreed to go only because I knew he needed a friend right now losing Eleanor and Cher all at once then being slammed by the media must have taken up a lot of space in his mind, not letting him have a chance to forget. Sure he wasn’t grieving the loss of a loved one like I was but what is better really; losing a loved one due to unfortunate circumstances or losing a loved one because they chose to get up and leave? He promised it would be a night to remember but I really wouldn’t mind if I had less of those in my life at the moment. Louis rocked up at my house knocking his little tune on the door letting me know it was him, I was glad someone these days had the etiquette to use such a thing. “Come in” I yelled from my spot on the couch where I had spent most of my time these days running over thoughts that made my feet hurt. He rushed in side and jumped over the couch with the energy of a 5 year old on pixie sticks “Lou how do you manage to keep up your energy?” I said with a sigh looking up at him rubbing my eyes. “Mate I think my mum was asking that all her life! Let’s go have a party shall we?” he said shaking my shoulders trying to get me in the mood however all it got him was a slap to the chest. “Okay Mr Grumples I won’t try to make you smile again” he said holding up his hands in defence, I ignored him looking out the window at the full moon. “Lou why did you pick tonight to go out?  Don’t you know that the mad hatters come out on a full moon?” I said with a scratch of my neck as I made my way up off the couch and to the door “sorry my iPhone doesn’t update me on the moons cycle” he said with a chuckle as he jumped out the door.

We got into his car and started driving through the traffic lights of the city, and at every red light I made sure to check five times over that no one was coming through the intersection before I let Louis take off. “You know Lou it just occurred to me that if we both drink we won’t be getting home...” I trailed off as I switched the music station to something a little more suitable “well then we shall call Liam or Paul” he suggested with a shrug. “You do know Liam doesn’t have his license right?” I looked at him from the other side of the car as he let out a laugh tapping his fingers to the beat on the steering wheel. We parked around the back of a dark alley way hoping no one would see us sneak into the Funky Buddha the place that we had always found ourselves at. We slipped in through the back and was immediately lost in a sea of people, I guess I liked it because I wasn’t Zayn Malik from One Direction for a while I was just Zayn Malik a kid in a moshpit. Louis rushed off to the bar grabbing a few drinks “cheers to us making it through and still going strong” he said forcing me to take a shot with him.

It was only about half an hour later that everything started lifting off of my shoulders, the buzz kicked into my head and it felt like I had finally passed the storm cloud off to someone else for a while. Louis was busy chatting up a few girls in the corner and I was against the bar swaying to the music that was blocking out all the thoughts that kept trying to creep back in. That’s when I turned around quickly to order another drink instead I found myself face to face with a tall blonde haired, blue eyed beauty wiping a drink off of her what looked like newly bought outfit. “I am so sorry!” I yelled over the music trying to get napkins to help but I stopped mid way realising that the drink was spilt on her chest “I ah... I’m sorry..” I stuttered looking at her with sincerity written over my face. “Not a problem!” she yelled back still not looking up at me as she dabbed the newly formed stain on her top, she finally gave up. “I’m Zayn...” I trialled off grabbing two drinks “Elle” she smiled holding out her hand with a not so impressed look in her eyes. “Here have this drink.. it’s the least I could do!” I tried to win her over a little more but somehow I couldn’t see this working out “no it’s fine, I was actually going to leave anyway” she sighed getting out her phone and text someone. She was actually quite stunning and if I hadn’t caused such a commotion I wondered if she would have been texting me her number in another scenario played out differently. “Well ahh nice meeting you” I said in one last attempt to salvage whatever I had left “yeah you too...” she said turning her back on me and walking out.

“Louis we have to go... I’m not feeling so well” I tapped him on the shoulder and pulled him away from his many lady friends; he seemed a little annoyed but understood. We made our way back to the car not really wanting to wake anyone up this time of night we figured it would be okay to drive home... Louis hadn’t had much to drink or so he said plus it was only a ten minute drive. We stumbled out to the car together in fits of laughter as I told Louis the story of my mishap with the girl in the bar. He laughed so hard that he fell over and brought me down with him as we were only a few meters away from the car, he unlocked the door with his finger touching the button and we both jumped in. Louis looked around for a bit as I buckled up playing on my phone “I think I dropped the key!” Louis said and I moaned as he searched around for it but realised it was in his pocket “never mind!” he said pulling it out causing us to burst into laughter again. “Are you sure you can drive Lou?” I gave him a serious look as he nodded confidently “do not worry my young apprentice!” he said with a slight Chinese accent. I rolled my eyes as Louis went to reverse back but something stop us as he lightly touched on the accelerator a loud thump was what cause us to both jump “what the bloody hell was that?!” Louis asked wide eyed. We both looked around and couldn’t see anything so we got out of the car both at the same time keeping our eyes locked as we walked around to the back of the car.

I gasped realising what I was looking at after a moment or two a girl with a newly stained shirt seemed to be bleeding from the head was laying unconscious in front of us. Louis freaked “did we just.. is she alive?!” he asked kneeling down but I slapped his hand away before he could check her vital signs “don’t touch her! You could leave finger prints!” I said in a rush pulling him back to the driver’s seat “we have to get out of here Louis... if we are linked to one more death...” I didn’t need any more words to convey what I was thinking. We both got into the car and he sped off down the road “Zayn.. we just... we just killed someone! I just killed someone!!” he said in a rush fiddling with anything he could. “Louis calm down okay!” I knew if he was distracted anymore than usual we could be just as dead as the girl we left behind with one wrong move. I was starting to relax the further we got away but that was when Louis took an all too sudden U-turn and started heading back “LOUIS WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” I yelled the only thing that kept his ghostly face illuminated was the stars. “We can’t leave her there Zayn! We aren’t those people... we aren’t A!” he said as we pulled up to the crime scene, the head lights came around the corner and I was ready for them to zone in on the limp body left bleeding on the pavement but nothing was there. The only thing that cut through the deadly silence was the all too familiar text tone of the one and only super stalker, A.

*Maybe she was still alive but barely breathing? Guess you’ll never know so start praying to a god that you don’t believe in boys – A*