2. Staring

There were two minutes left before Sherlock would continue the lesson. Everyone in the classroom were chatting about their children, husband, holidays and a lot other subjects. John sat in the middle, just following a conversation of two girls beside him, talking about their job. John sighed, looking at his watch and sighed again. He looked up, staring at Sherlock. Watching him as he rummaged through his desk, finding a pile of papers and laid it on the edge of his desk. Sherlock then looked up and cocked an eyebrow as he saw John staring at him. John immediately looked away awkwardly.

Sherlock stood up and handed out some Dutch stories while the class kept chatting. Some of them grumbled a thank you and some ignored him completely. Sherlock then stood in front of John and placed a sheet on his desk, holding his hand on it as he spoke to John.

"Everything alright here Mr. Watson?" He asked, his lips curled up into a smile.

"I'd be lying if I said, yes." John replied, his head resting on his hand palm.

"I see." Sherlock said with a soft smile and turned around, strolling to his desk. When he's in front he cleared his throat. "Alright, like you all can see. You have a couple Dutch stories. You all have to pair up with someone and practice your pronunciation by picking one story and reading it together. In a couple minutes you can read it for the class. I shall correct when necessary." He informed the students. They all nodded and started to look around, searching for someone to sit with.

Sherlock walked to his chair and settled him down and grabbed a file. His brother-in-law Greg Lestrade is a detective inspector who ask Sherlock's help sometimes. Sherlock looked at the unsolved case and started to scan the information while the people from the class were searching a partner. After a minute Sherlock briefly looked up, away from the case file and saw John vaguely looking around the classroom, sitting alone. Sherlock narrowed his eyes and scanned the classroom. Right. Eleven people, everyone paired with two and John was left over. He cleared his throat and spoke up.

"John." Sherlock called him. John immediately turned to face Sherlock and nodded. "Take your chair and come sit in front of me." He said in a normal tone. John frowned at first but then obeyed and walked in front of the class with a chair in his hand and placed it in front of Sherlock's desk.

"Thanks." John muttered.

"No problem." Sherlock replied, putting the file in a folder and put it away in one of the drawers of his desk. He then briefly met John's eyes and then looked back down, grabbing a Dutch story and pushed it forwards, until the paper met John's fingertips.

"Read the first one." Sherlock said mildly. John nodded and started to read a short Dutch story. 500 words, nothing much. Sherlock was watching John intently. Looking how the words slipped out his mouth, the tip of his tongue traced his upper lip every time he finished a paragraph. The smile that appeared on his lips when he failed a word. Sherlock couldn't stop staring at this man. He's reading John with narrowed eyes.

Lonely, heartbroken, financial problems, strong build, straight, in pain, cried three hours ago, late because his sister had an overdose, lives alone.

Sherlock felt sorry for John. Sherlock shook his head slightly, frowning. Since when did he care for someone else's feelings? He grumbled silently and stared back at John, as he's reading the last sentence. When he finished, he looked up at Sherlock, and smiled gingerly. Sherlock hummed at first, his chin resting on his steepled fingers and then he spoke up.

"Very interesting." He mused. John kept staring, waiting on Sherlock to say something more. "You're very good at this Mr. Watson." He decided. John sighed.

"It's John." He said firmly, but smiled.

"Yes, John. My apologies." He corrected himself and breathed in and out loudly. "Did you have any lessons before?" He asked. John shook his head.

"No never. Sometimes I visit Belgium, and then I chat with Flemish people, and so I get to know the language a bit." John shrugged.

"Hmm okay." Sherlock replied. "This was great." Sherlock said as he gestured to the middle of the class, as in saying that John can go back to his seat. John nodded and stood up and went back to sit in the middle of the classroom. Then Sherlock told the class that they have to stop and pay attention to the first two. Everyone was silent and listened to the horrible Dutch from Molly and Emma. Sherlock bite on his lip, trying to hold in a laugh. John was smiling as well, he briefly made eye contact with Sherlock and then Sherlock couldn't keep silent any longer and a laugh escaped his cuppid bow lips what caused both girls to look up in unison.

"Sorry." Molly said.

"No need to say sorry. I was thinking about a funny thing from yesterday, please go on." He said as he waved a hand in the air.

"What funny thing?" Molly asked sweetly. She blushed as Sherlock met her eyes.

"Nothing important." He said flatly.

"Okay." She said quietly and continued reading her part. Ten minutes later everyone finished reading the story. Sherlock decided to end the day here.

"Thank you everyone, you are free to go now. See you all next time." Sherlock stated firmly and faked a smile, a beautiful smile what caused some people to bite back a squeal. Molly was the only one who squealed loudly. Sherlock looked at her with furrowed brows. John just rolled his eyes and sighed. He then glared at the curly haired teacher, who was blushing fervently from embarrassment.

Everyone started to leave the classroom. Some of the students left their phone number, because they don't check their mail often. And they thought it was better if Sherlock contacted them through the phone for important messages Instead of email. Obviously that was a trick. John and Molly were still grabbing their stuff together, John's pencils were left sprawled on the table as Sherlock the teacher walked over towards him.

"Are you coming back?" Sherlock asked.

"Of course, why wouldn't I?" John replied, putting his material into his rucksack.

"You obviously didn't enjoy yourself today."

"That's true. It not that I dislike being here. It's just." John paused, running a hand through his hair. "Problems here and there." John shrugged.

"Yes, I understand."

"Umm, Mr. Holmes?" Molly interrupted, stepping closer to the two of them. Sherlock turned his head and hummed to her, as telling her to continue.

"Can I speak to you for a moment?" She asked shyly, blushing.

"Sure." He replied coldly and turned to glance at John. "I hope to see you Wednesday, John."

"I won't let you alone with those women." John quipped, smiling lovely at Sherlock. The two of them stared at each other until Molly coughed awkwardly. John swung his rucksack on his shoulder and waved a goodbye and left.

"Ms Hooper." Sherlock started. "What's wrong?" He asked her, as he walked back to his desk, not bothering to look at her while she's speaking. She shifted with her feet and spoke up, her face as red as a tomato.

"I wonder, if you'd like to have coffee or something." Sherlock clenched his teeth, preparing his words and then rejected her on a 'friendly' way.