28.

unedited

~Chapter 28~

HEY GUYS. once again, i would like to thank you guys so much for the votes and comments! thank you for being so nice and liking this book! it really brightens my day! so this chapter is long and the end is pretty angsty and intense...so like i hope you like it?

I wake up feeling completely alive for the first time. I realized it was probably because my wolf was slowly regaining her strength or maybe it was because Atlas' sleeping figure was less than centimeters away from me.

I reviled the distance between us. I hated how he was so close, but I wouldn't let him near where I needed him the most: my heart. I unwillingly stared at him, trying to undercover every single layer Atlas hid inside himself. Why was he so difficult to understand?

I stared at the scars that ran across his body, and suddenly the fact they corresponded with the scars on my body twisted my heart. My eyes traveled to our hands. Though he was facing upwards, his hand was beside my fingers. There was maybe one millimeter that separated my fingers from the curve of his. They were so close that I was terrified if I moved my hand in any way, our fingers would touch, and as a result my body will start to melt.

When Atlas finally started to stir, I quickly turned in the other direction and shut my eyes, pretending to be asleep. I felt the body beside me rise, and I felt the nail of my index finger touch his skin, but even I knew it was an accident. I feel him getting up to the side and rising to his feet.

"I know you're awake, little wolf." Atlas says, his voice echoing through my ears.

I immediately turned around and faced his standing body as he was grinning.

"How do you know that?"

"You don't sleep facing upward, little wolf." Atlas answered, confidently. "You're always on your side, and you usually look peaceful, not stressed."

How he figured that out was enough to make me angry. It wasn't fair he was able to figure me out so easily. It wasn't fair he could understand the little things about me that even I couldn't comprehend. I stared at him frustration and turned away, remembering all the reasons I hated him.

I shook them away, reminding myself that it was too early for this. Either way, while I was here, while I was recovering, I needed this help no matter how much I wanted to deny it. As much as I wish I could hide the truth inside my mind, I knew he had come back for me after surviving hell in my pack.

I wasn't oblivious enough to still pretend like Atlas didn't care about me. But I almost wished he didn't. It would be so much easier to hate him if he just didn't care.

When I see Atlas going into the bathroom, I suddenly realize how much of a desperate need I was of a shower. I stared down and for the first time I grasped the fact that I was wearing a shirt that was clearly not mine. It was dark shade and much longer than I anticipated. I stared down and realized I was wearing only a shirt and an underwear. And suddenly everything came down to me—Who the fuck had changed me?

I stared at Atlas, and suddenly another wave of explosive anger erupted.

"Who changed me?" I demanded.

For a few seconds, Atlas looked dazed and I immediately threw the pillow beside me at him. "Who the fuck changed me?" My voice was deadly, and even though I knew Atlas was my mate, I wasn't comfortable with him seeing me naked.

"Don't worry—it wasn't me! It was the healer. It's a woman and she's the one that redid your bandages." Atlas quickly explains. I couldn't help, but realize how frantic his voice sounded. Almost as if he terrified of me. The thought almost made me grin.