Chapter Six

The round went slow and at every turn , Patsy felt a larger and great weight on her shoulders. It was near the end of 1962 , whe world ws changing for the better she she felt so dirty and yet so happy. Their was talk of a gay rights movement but nothing more said said, it was just echos in the gateway. Whsipers on the late night bus. Patsy knew even if their was on she should get involved. But part of her wanted teir to be one. She wanted their to be protests she could join in, to see streets lined with people like she was. She had vivid dreams of the streets of London filled with man holding hands with men and women holding hands with women. Like nothing was wrong. She smiled a little at the through, before being snapped out of her fantasy but a women Patsy nealy took out on her bicycle.

Trixie grew more and more worried for Patsy throughout the day , not sure what to say in order to support her friend made Trixie worried and slightly nervous. She didn't know the words to tell Patsy that her heart was winning over her head. Trixie needed to tell Patsy that she was going to be okay but the truth is she didn't know Patsys faith she didn't know what the sisters knew what what they wanted to talk to her about but she did know that Patsy was her best friend and nothing could change that.

As they put they bikes in the hutv after what felt like a never ending day of rounds, Patsys heart was thudding out her chest. Trixie looked over to her for the moral support she could give of the unknown.

Patsy was hoping that her presense woulg go unnoticed or Sister Julienne would be oterhwise opqupided with a pregnant mother. But like clockwork Sister was waiting for Patsy in the kitchen. Patsy out her bag down then without saying a word followed sister Julienne into her office.

"Have a seat" Sister said, in her calm caring tone. She didn't sound angry but that didn't mean she wasn't. Patsy did as she was asked and sat on the edge of her seat, sweat left her palms and she was concentrating on not shaking to give away her guilt.

"It has been brought to my attention that someone has reported homosexual actions against you"

Patsy froze she iddnt know what to say

"That's absurd" Patsy spluttered out.

"An expected mother saw you and nurse mount late last week getting off the bus from Chelsea"

The gateways club, they were coming home from the gateways. They were careful how did someone see them.

"Now while this matter isn't illegal, you are in place of worship here at Nonnatus House" The sister continuded

"I am going to have to report the event to the mother house but until then I am going to take you off all midwifery duties" Her voice was still calm unlike Patsys who couldn't even form a sentence. Patsys silence told Ssister Julieene all she needed to know, the shokc on Patsys face was a shco kfo being assuced but a shock of being found out.

"You know im a good midwife" Patsy responded "Why can I work because of one absurd comment?" she felt horrible lying about her Delia but she needed her job, Delia needed hers. Delias job and Nonnatus House was the only thing keeping her in London.

"Patsy you are a good midwife im not dening that but we just simply cant have someone who is aquqed of such things working in that area" Patsy no longer cared about the reasons she just needed to ask about Delia

"What about Delia?" Patsy asked

"As Nurse Bursby doesn't work with us and I am going to phone up the London and talk to them about the situation first. With Delias shifts I will most likely deiscuss the situation with her after breakfast tomorrow" Nurse mount didn't respond what you she say just just got up off the chair and walked out, shutting the big wooden door behind her and running out the bigger wooden door that was Nonnatus House. She didn't get her bike she just ran. Tears streaming down her face, she didn't want to cry but she had just lsot the role that she lived at Nonnatus House for, what would she do if she wasn't to do the midwife duties. She would be stuck on district round if she was even allowed to do that. She wouldn't be able to do the clinic on Tuesday, she wouldn't get to talk to the new mums about jabs or do check up, consol scared first time mothers. She was losing all the cared about and she could even end up losing Delia. Patsy didn't know where she was running but she kept running. She went to the coffee shop where her and Delia had spent many a great evening ordered a drink and just sat their- outside it was starting to get dark but she couldn't care. She didn't care that she was still in uniform because it wouldn't be long untl she wasn't allowed to wear it at all – the uniform was her safety and now threy wanted to take it off her.