Chapter 3

- Chapter 3 -

When I woke up, the sun was shining and I was on my side facing the door to the bathroom. I must be in the master bedroom.

I turn so that I'm on my back and my eyes widen in surprise when I see Alex next to me. His head is facing away from me and he's lying on his back.

Then he turns onto his side so he is facing me. I look at him and he looks so peaceful. I brush my fingers gently through his hair and a smile makes its way onto his face. He drapes an arm over my stomach. I bite my lip and I feel heat rush to my cheeks.

"Goodmorning" he says softly.

I blink, "You're awake?"

He opens his eyes and looks at me. He smiles and nods, "Yep."

"How l-long have you b-been a-awake?" I ask a little nervous.

 I hope he wasn't awake when I brushed my fingers through his hair.

"Hmm..." He looks upwards in thought then he looks at me again. "I've been awake since you turned onto your back."

I blush more and cover my face with my hands. He chuckles. I look at him through my fingers and smile a little. He smiles and strokes my hair.

I'm now red as a tomato.

"How old are you?" He suddenly asks.

I remove my hands from my face and answer, "16. What about you?"

"17. Favourite colour?"

"Bl-" a scream is heard, cutting me off and we both sit up. That was Alyson who screamed. Alex was out of the room in seconds and I followed him.

We stop in front of the room we heard the scream come from and the door was closed.

 "Christian!" We hear Alyson yell from inside then it was followed by another scream. I tense in my spot.

What if he got bitten as well? Would I be able to let Alex shoot him...?

"Violet!"

I blink then I see that the door is open and a little girl is running towards me. My eyes widen as she runs to me.

I know this girl. I babysit her... Her name's Emily and she's only 7...

My eyes water as I just stand in my place looking at her.

She had blood all over her face and all over her body, there was a bite mark on her left side.

I can hear my name being called by Alyson but I don't move. I can't move... I'm looking at the little girl who was so cute and adorable before run towards me with blood dripping from her mouth.

She was getting closer with each seconds that passed. I hear her growl and she reaches out for me.

She is about to jump onto me but Christian holds her back by grabbing her arms. She growls in frustration and anger. Alex moves in front of her and raises the handgun, pointing it at her forehead.

I can't look away. I can't close my eyes.

When Alex shoots her , tears begin to stream down my face.

Her body falls onto the floor when Christian releases her. A sob escapes me and Christian walks over to me then pulls me into a tight hug.

Then I begin to cry.

"Shh... Shh..." Christian murmurs and strokes my hair. I clutch his shirt tightly as I cry.

"Th-that w-w-was E-Emily...."

He rubs my back. "Yes... It was" he mumbles. "She w-was so y-young..." I whisper.

I pull back a little and look at him, he looks at me with sad eyes. "Why is this happening...?" I ask softly then sniffle.

He shakes his head, "I don't know..."

"Do you think that there's a cure...?"

"I don't know..." He repeats.

I close my eyes and let out a shaky breath. Then I hear Alex say, "We... have to get out of here... It's not safe..." I open my eyes and look at him. He isn't looking at me but he's looking at my brother.

Christian nods, "Okay" We pull away from each other and he goes into the room. I wipe my eyes and stay where I'm standing. Alex turns to me, "Are you alright...?" I just nod silently.

"Alright, let's go" Christian says when he comes out of the room. He is holding the handgun now, Alex must have given it to him when he told us that we should go and Alyson was behind him holding the bat.

Alex looks at them then rushes off to the room that we were in before then he comes back.

He hands me the shotgun and I shake my head, "I don't know how to use it..." He smiles a little, "I'll teach you, but you'll probably learn how to use it on your own."

I look at the shotgun in my hands and bite my lip.

We leave the house and I squint my eyes a little because of how bright it is. Then we begin to walk down the sidewalk.

I glance around the area as we walk. Cars are tipped over and some are on fire. There are a few dead bodies on the ground. I notice that there aren't any zombies...yet.

After about an hour or two had passed, Christian's stomach growls then mine growls as well. I blush slightly from embarrassment and Christian chuckles.

"Let's find somewhere to eat..." Alex says.

We keep walking until we find a place to eat.

After a few more minutes of walking, we see a mall. We all cheer then our cheering stops as we see that we have a little problem.

There were some zombies standing in front of the entrance of the mall.