Chapter 1

- Chapter 1 -

I went to sit on a chair as Christian looked around the house to make sure there were no more zombies. I put my backpack down then I hold my head in my hands and stare at the ground.

This is just all a dream... A very bad dream...

I close my eyes and sigh. This is just a bad dream...

I open my eyes and look at our mother's body. If she was a zombie... What about our dad...? I get up and walk to the kitchen. Stepping into the kitchen, all I hear is the drops of water hitting the sink.

Going over to the cupboard, I grab a cup and look in the fridge. I grab the carton of apple juice then pour it into the cup. I look around then begin to drink.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and I jump in surprise, causing me to spill some of the juice.

"Alyson is here..." Christian tells me. I nod in response and put the cup down. I look at my shirt which was now wet because of the juice. I let out a breath then walk back to the living room, grabbing my backpack and head outside after Christian.

"Hurry and get in!" Alyson yells at us. Christian gets into the passenger seat and I get into the backseat.

She looks at me through the rear view mirror and smiles slightly, "Thank goodness you're okay."

I give her a small smile back and she begins to drive. Christian asks, "So where we going?"

She shakes her head, "I got no clue..."

We remain quiet after that.

After a few minutes of driving, we began to see more zombies. Some were walking around, some of them were eating other people. Bleh.

Alyson kept driving silently.

I kept looking around and my eyes widen when we saw our dad running away from three zombies.

"Christian! It's dad!" I exclaim then point to our dad.

His eyes widen and he tells Alyson to stop the car. She shakes her head, "I can't." He clenches his fists. "I said stop the car"

She looks at him then she slows down the car to a stop.

Christian immediately gets out of the car holding the baseball bat. He waves to our dad. "Dad! Over here!!"

Our dad sees him and runs for the car with the three zombies still following him. I bite my lip and look at Christian. He is holding onto the bat tightly.

I open the door for our dad to get in, "Come on dad!!!"

He makes it to the car and slams the door shut. Christian smashes the head of one of the zombies then gets into the car. "Drive!" he tells Alyson.

She changes the gear then speeds off.

I sigh in relief then hug our dad tightly. "Dad! You're okay!" He hugs me back and kisses my head. "I'm so glad you two are okay... Where's your mother?"

I tense and don't say anything.

"She's dead..." Christian whispers.

"What?!"

"She's dead" he repeats.

I feel our dad beginning to shake. "How....?" he asks. I look at him and I see that his eyes are filled with heartbreak.

Christian lets out a breath, "I....I killed her..." Alyson gasps and our dad yells, "You killed your own mother?!"

"I-I had to! If I didn't, Violet would have died! We would have died..."

Our dad closes his eyes and sighs. He bites his lip and a few tears slip down his face. He wipes them away and opens his eyes then looks out the window.

I lean my head against the other window and close my eyes.

I open my eyes when I feel the car stop moving. "Why are you stopping Alyson?"

She looks at me again through the rear view mirror and bites her lip. "Ran out of petrol..."

My eyes widen, "W-what?" She frowns and repeats what she had said.

This cannot be happening...

I yelp when a zombie bangs on the window. "What do we do?!" I ask them.

"We have to run" Christian says. He opens his door then runs out. Alyson is the next one, followed by my dad then me. All of them were ahead of me and I ran faster to try to catch up to them.

Suddenly, a zombie jumped on my back causing me to fall forward. I let out a scream and try to get away from the zombie.

I close my eyes, waiting to get bitten. But I never got bitten... I feel the weight of the zombie being lifted off me and I open my eyes.

I see a guy standing over me and the zombie dead on the ground.

"Are you okay Miss?" he asks.

I just stare at him. He looks pretty hot. He had blonde hair and blue eyes. He had muscles and he looked pretty tall. He was also carrying a shot gun.

Huh... Wonder where he got it...

"Violet!" Someone yelling out my name made me blink and look away from the guy. I see Christian running to me with Alyson and dad behind him.

He pulls me into a tight hug. He then looks at the guy, "Thank you..."

"No problem" the guy replies.

My dad is slightly panting from running and he wraps his arms around both my brother and me. He kisses my head then also looks at the guy.

Alyson runs a hand through her hair then asks the guy, "Who are you...?"

We all look at the guy and he smiles slightly, "The name is Alex, Alex Roden."