Chapter 7 - Bara Shiki

Thanks for reading up to here, everyone! 

~~~

Chapter 7 Bara Shiki

I picked out the nicest black dress I could find in the clothes shop. Haruka’s funeral was very soon and I had to wear something at least a little more casual than a full-out ball gown. The dress I chose was simple, with thick straps and a breast line with black embroidery. I also purchased some black four centimetre heels and a flower for my hair. The housemaid paid for it and we went home in silence. She did my make-up and hair, even dressing up herself and aunt Kyoko. Takeru arrived at three, an hour before the ceremony started. Our grandparents were already at the church, waiting for us. I linked arms with Takeru as we walked there.

The cemetery was like a huge garden, with wild flowers blooming over every path. Some gravestones were hundreds of years old, crumbling from the acidic rain. The special garden that my parents were buried in was the flower garden I suspected was for vampires. We entered the church and sat down at the front. The seats were filled up with humans, even the Burukiras were in a corner. The priest began talking about who Haruka was, as if he knew him.

“Haruka was born to a rich family but never used his wealth. His parents were treasurers of the Senior Council and sent Haruka and his two brothers to boarding schools. When Haruka left mathematical university in search of a job, he was interested in teaching. Many schools turned him down as a teacher, because he simply did not have enough degrees. They said he would have to work as an assistant for some time for experience and money. So he did, and there he met Ashiya Kotoko, a young lady of eighteen. They fell deeply in love and intended to marry after giving birth to a baby girl called Tsubaki, but certain circumstances got rid of that plan. 

“Rido Kuran was a good friend of his, but later on, his eyes were only for Haruka’s little girl. She was perfect for Rido’s plans and he tried everything to get her. When he eventually did, Haruka went mad and started killing. But we must remember that this was not of his own will. He met his daughter again less than two months ago and it is devastating to see him go. We will miss him greatly, his tears, laughter and love. God be with him.”

The congregation were weeping and I noticed two men in particular. Were they my uncles? I didn’t know anything about them before, but I guess it wasn’t unusual for him to have brothers. Aunt Kyoko was secretly wiping her tears next to me and Takeru had hold of my hand in case I cried. But I hardly knew Haruka and it was almost impossible for me to have loved him in the short time that we were together. The memories of us two were just images in my head. I didn’t remember them, but they were there. Aunt Kyoko had invited our neighbours as well and I saw a certain Shiki sitting on the back row.

When the coffin was carried out to the flower garden, the people who didn’t know Haruka very well left and the close ones stayed. I watched Senri’s mum leave the building with messy hair and bags under her eyes. She even had a bottle of liquor hidden down her coat sleeve.

“Tsubaki, won’t you lay the flowers down on him?” grandmother asked. I sniffed and picked up a single camellia to be buried with him, and laid it on top of the coffin. Then some men started piling the earth back on him and I laid down the rest of the flowers. My eyes averted to the grave next to his. Ashiya Kotoko. Yes, they were finally together after seventeen years of separation.

*

It was only when I got home that I started to cry. I bawled on my bed, with the door locked. Around an hour later, I made the resolve that I was going to put everything behind and live properly. But first I had to get that hair strand, and the only way I could do that was to visit Miss Shiki.

“Going out?” aunt Kyoko said with raised eyebrows. 

“Yes, just for a bit. I need to get Haruka out of my head.” She saw my swollen eyes and red nose, and let me go. I inhaled deeply and went to knock on the door of Senri Shiki.