Chapter 6 - A Sign Of Hope

The climax begins in this chapter! Look forward to the rest ^_~

~~~

Chapter 6 A Sign of Hope

We called the funeral service at noon, after I finished bawling in Takeru’s arms. Takeru explained everything I had written down to the man over the line since I didn’t have the courage to speak. Aunt Kyoko had prepared a dozen bouquets for the service and the funeral arrangers had chosen a pine coffin with camellias carved into the lid. That was requested by me.

At around three in the afternoon, the hospital called.

“Hello?”

“Ah, may I speak to Tsubaki Kuroda?” a nurse asked.

“Yes, that’s me,” I replied.

“Firstly, we are sorry about your father. It was all very hectic this morning trying to diagnose his illness. It seems he had a heavy chest infection and lung cancer from smoking. Also, his heart had several problems, as did his stomach. We suspect that people were chasing him and probably punched him a lot.”

“I see…”

“The most important thing however is that he managed to speak before he died. He said to tell you that your mother was indeed killed by Kuran Rido.”

I was speechless and stayed silent.

“Kuroda-san? Kuroda-san?” 

I started the waterworks again. “Sorry, and thank you for the information!” I said quickly before hanging up. There, on the stairs, I wept again. This time for only a few minutes, because I was determined to find Rido Kuran whether he was dead or not.

But firstly, I needed to find Senri Shiki.

I needed to tell him that I would go with him overboard.

That I loved him.

~

“Tsubaki, I’m ordering flowers. Do you have a special choice?” aunt Kyoko asked.

I didn’t even need to think. “Camellias.” 

She smiled. “But of course. Anything else?”

“Actually, I’m leaving tomorrow to meet Yuki, to tell her about it.” Obviously it was a lie but she wouldn’t let me if it was to see Senri Shiki.

“Oh, okay then. Be back before Friday because we’re holding the funeral then. We’ve been granted special permission to bury Haruka next to Kotoko.” I softened at the thought of them finally being together. 

“I’ll try to be home by Wednesday afternoon but I can’t promise anything.” That would give me one whole day to look for Senri. First I would go to the academy, then to his house. It would seem more reasonable to do it the other way around but I didn’t want aunt Kyoko seeing me. That way I could also ask about Rido and my mother. I was so excited that I couldn’t sleep that night until three in the morning when I finally managed to sleep four hours.

At eleven, I made myself a meal for later. It consisted of last night’s rice, some vegetables, and five slices of beef. I made sure to bring two bottles of blood tablet water and my box of spares. I didn’t need to make anything for Takeru because he had already left yesterday morning as the headmaster demanded he needed to go back for teaching. I packed away the bento in my backpack.

Calling goodbye to aunt Kyoko, I zipped up my slim chestnut boots which had a heel that measured one inch. I then buttoned up the remaining two buttons on my coat and went outside with my backpack. It was incredibly windy but I pushed on to the main road. I got on the bus which I had to stop, and got off at a nearby town to search.