Chapter 9 - Unforeseen Fate

Chapter 9 Unforeseen Fate

Despite the lateness, I ran down the dark road and waited anxiously for the bus. Maybe it had stopped running, but as it drove through the pitch blackness I vigorously waved my hand to signal I wanted to get on. I fished around in my coat pocket for some change but found only enough for the next town. I sat down in a rush, hoping no one would notice me. The bus was pretty much empty anyway, with only a few workers on their way home.

As I stepped off the bus, I saw a five-thousand yen note on the asphalt ground. This was perfect! Since I had left my money at home, this was my allowance until I returned. But I thought about the money and who it belonged to. I really should’ve handed it into the police, but come on, it was almost midnight. No one would notice if five-thousand yen went missing… would they?

I slowly walked into the town where all was tranquil. The occasional moth hovered around the streetlamps and a couple of shops were still open. I searched for a cheap inn but bumped into Biele. 

“Biele-san??” I whispered.

“Tsubaki! Aye, it is me, Biele. You have come to the right place. The onsen in which Rido is in happens to be on the next street. Be careful, my dear…”

And just like that, he disappeared into mist. I could hear my heart beating rather fast. I was near my goal, and all I had to do was enter the onsen, pay for one night, find Rido and get rid of him quick. After that, well, I would decide that when the deed was done.

I wandered onto the next street and found a traditional Japanese hot springs. There was thick steam rising from the two bathing areas and a homely chimney. I even smelt delicious food being cooked. 

I pushed the bamboo door open and went up to the reception. “Hello, are there any vacancies for tonight?” I asked the staff.

“Ah, yes, there are. Is it just you?”

“Yes, just me. How much would that be for one night…”

The woman clicked on the computer and looked up. “Our cheapest is one-thousand four-hundred yen. You can upgrade for better service if you like.”

I hesitantly paid her the five-thousand yen note. She checked it in case it was counterfeit and slipped it into the till. 

“Here is your key and clothes,” she said, handing over a pile of clothes and a key. “You also get a complimentary towel and food service. Thank you for staying at our hot springs.”

I thanked her and went to look for my room. I had to go up the stairs, take a left turn and arrive at room 120. It was one of the medium sized rooms with a tatami mat and duvet all folded up in the closet. There was a balcony that overlooked several plants and a pond. It was nice and quiet with some cheerful laughter coming from both baths.

I felt like bathing for a while before sleeping, however late it was. I brought my key and towel and made for the female bathing area. It was relatively empty with only a group of girls giggling in a corner. It was dimly lit by floor lights and I slipped into the hot water. It was so soothing, I felt like I was back at home in the big bathtub. Back home with Yuki, and Zero, and the headmaster. Back home when the bathroom lock wasn’t working and you were filled with anxiety if someone was going to enter. Back home at Cross Academy.

Half an hour later, it was nearly one am so I got out of the steamy bathing area and headed inside to rinse off. A girl with long blonde hair was washing her hair and I made sure not to approach her. I rinsed myself off with a bucket of lukewarm water and dried off. My clothes were in the wooden storage trays and I changed into them quickly. Then I rushed upstairs to sleep. Hopefully tomorrow, I would be able to confront Rido and get rid of him.