Chapter 10 - A World of Prejudice

Chapter 10 A World of Prejudice 

Senri’s P.O.V

Now that I had taken care of that Tsubaki, I could finally relax. With Rima by my side, I wasn’t afraid of anything, and to make everything better, our next contract started in a month’s time. So I had a whole month to spend with Rima and forget about everything. And when the time was right, I would propose to her and we would be properly together. That future seemed so close that I just needed to reach out a grab it.

Rima was applying lip-gloss when I received a call from Biele, my good friend. 

“Senri-chan, the preparations are ready!” he mused through the phone.

I was annoyed just by hearing his voice but he could do wonders for me, so I put up with it. “Thanks, Biele. And I told you to stop using -chan at the end of my name.”

“Oh, you’re so cold Senri-chan! I’m helping you out. Don’t you worry about a thing, and go make love to Rima,” he teased. I abnormally blushed and hung up the phone. 

“Shiki, we’ve got this last shoot and then we’re done. Wanna hang out in a restaurant?”

“Sure.”

We left the dressing room for the studio and let the stylists dress us up. This shoot was a summer shoot, wearing casual clothing and running in the meadows. 

“You two, get in the car, we’re leaving to the destination,” the head cameraman ordered. We got on the car for fifteen and sat with the expensive camera equipment. When we arrived, the sun had come out from the clouds and we were overheating in the car. It was a relief to be outside, in the long grass with the wind swaying about. I was wearing a thin white sports jacket, running shorts and running trainers. Rima was in a summery dress with flowers and ribbons. It was just like her, pretty but reserved. She showed no expression, as usual, but just posed for the camera. 

“Please, can we have some more interesting poses?” the cameraman asked. He seemed slightly irritated since we had done nothing but pose. “Remember, this concept is summer meets sport. Let’s have some action, or something…”

I tried to move but felt it was unnecessary. Rima, however, was twirling around on the spot. The cameraman still wasn’t pleased.

“Can we get you two embracing each other?” the cameraman asked, out of options. I leant towards Rima but she leant back, avoiding me. I frowned and clutched both her arms, pulling her in to me.

“Shiki!” she exclaimed. She broke away and turned around. I knew she had to be blushing. The cameraman smiled.

“I’ve got the perfect shot, thanks guys! This’ll definitely be on the cover of Vogue Japan! Look out for it!” he winked. I kept my eyes on Rima, whose back was still facing me.

“Rima…”

She ‘tch’ed and stormed off back into the car. I was suddenly filled with a horrible feeling. What had I done wrong?

When we got back to the studio, I changed back into my suit and Rima back into her revealing dress. “You still want to go to that restaurant?”

“Forget it Shiki. I’m going home.”

“Home? To where?”

She looked me in the eye with her steel eyes. “To my family! You go back to yours, too. We’ll meet tomorrow at the fountain of this town.” And off she went, in the direction of the bus station. I was left there, speechless, only to have to go home to my mother.

*

“Ah, Senri… you’re home…” mother gasped. She collapsed onto me and wept. 

“What’s wrong, mother?” I replied, combing my fingers through her straggly hair.