Decipher

The garden is beautiful, lush with blooming flowers and heavy with the sweet scent of nectar. High above the sun beats down, warming the earth after the cool chill of the night and a gentle breeze rustles the vegetation. I glide over the grass, feeling the ticklish sweep of the blades as I make my way through the garden. My hand brushes over the petals of each flower as I pass by, leaving a trail of renewed life as I go. A rose bush catches my eye and I walk to it. The feeble bush has been severely neglected and the delicate plants are beginning to wither and wilt. Scattered around the base of the bush are blackened rose petals that have been shed from the flowers.

            I frown, feeling sad about the dying plants. “You poor things. Let me help,” I say softly, waving my hand over the bush. My fingers lightly brush each brittle rose blossom and with each gentle touch, they grow fuller and brighter. The petals return to their red brilliance and I smile again. “There. Now you are beautiful once more.”

            “That is lovely.”

            I start at the silken voice and whip around to face the man. “Lord Elijah,” I gasp, hastily curtsying, “I did not know you were there.”

            The prestigious man smiles kindly, his hazel-brown eyes looking softly down at me. “Forgive me for startling you. I just wanted to watch,” he replies, motioning to the restored rose bush. I glance over my shoulder at it and nod.

            “Oh, I see.”

            He looks at me for a long moment and I turn my gaze away, focusing on the grass between us. I feel a bit nervous when around Elijah. He does not analyze me like Niklaus, but I do not miss the curious stare I receive from him on occasion.

            “You are very good, though.”

            I look up at him and mumble, “What?”

            “You are a very skilled witch, I mean,” he tells me.

            I smile softly. “Thank you, my lord.”

            Elijah steps closer to me and reaches up to brush the hair behind my ear. His hand cups my cheek gingerly as he says, “You needn’t address me so formerly, Elizabeth. You may call me Elijah.” He smiles, lightly tracing my lips with his thumb. My heart begins to pound in my chest and a shiver runs down my spine. Elijah leans closer to me, his gaze locked with mine. He is so close to me. I can feel his warm breath on my lips. I reach up and tangle my hand in his curly brown hair. His lips barely graze mine when a booming voice calls for me from across the garden.

            “Elizabeth!”

            Elijah steps away, his hand dropping back down by his side, and turns to face his approaching brother. I look up as Niklaus saunters over to me. There’s a malicious look in his light blue eyes and I know it is directed at me. He glances at Elijah and then at me. “What is going on here?” The tone he uses demands an answer.

            “Brother, we were just enjoying the beautiful summer day. The garden is just so-”

            “She has work to do. She does not have time to enjoy the ‘beautiful summer day’, brother,” Klaus hisses. It isn’t hard to tell he is angry.

            “Niklaus, please-” Elijah tries to calm his brother, but Niklaus will not hear it.

            “No, Elijah. She must come with me!” the vampire exclaims, seizing me by the arm. He grips it tightly, almost snapping the bone in half. I cry out in pain and claw at his hand, trying desperately to pry him off. Elijah steps forward and places a hand on Klaus’ chest. The two brothers hold each other’s gaze.