Seeking out the Lost

My silk black robe hangs loosely on my thin body and sways as I drowsily get up from my bed. The blankets leave my body and I unravel my arms from the sheets. With a small yawn, I walk across the room and over to the door, opening it to find Andie Star slinking down the hall to the stairs. She glances at me and smiles. “Hey Elizabeth,” she greets me with a cheery tone. I only nod to her, my body still trying to wake up. We stand there for a moment, silent and uncomfortable. She awkwardly glances at her watch and says, “Well, I, um, gotta go. I guess I’ll see you later. Bye!” Andie waves to me and she dashes off. I watch the sunny journalist bounce over to the staircase, her wavy golden-brown hair swaying ever so slightly with each jaunty step. I let out a slow breath, closing the door to my temporary room in the Salvatore boarding house. “I have no idea how she manages to be so cheery in the morning,” I grumble groggily.

        The door creaks downstairs and shuts with a soft click. For a moment, everything is silent in the house. I start to head downstairs when a loud crash from Damon’s room has me racing back down the hall to see what’s happened. I push the door open wide and peer into the room.

        Inside, Damon is bent over next to the closet, picking up a clutter of books and various maps from the floor. His abdominal muscles ripple beneath his flawless skin and his black and blue boxers are the only thing on his body to cover him. He mutters something about not having enough space and it makes me wonder how he’s failed to realize he lives in one of the largest houses I’ve ever stepped foot in. I fold my arms over my chest and lean against the doorframe. “Is there something I can do for you?” he asks, placing the books and maps back inside the closet. He pushes the door open more, revealing the maps, newspaper clippings, and million sticky notes we’ve been using to track Klaus and Stefan for almost two months now. I notice that he’s pinned yet another slip of paper in Tennessee.

        “Another attack?” I ask, shifting my weight, leveling it out onto both feet.

        Damon uses his hands to straighten out the piece of paper and stares at it. His dark brows draw together and he gets a serious look on his face, one I rarely ever see. “Mhm. In Memphis,” he replies. He takes his hand away from the map, allowing the paper’s edges to curl up again, and turns to look at me.

        I let my arms drop and step slowly towards Damon. “Do you think it’s them?”

       He glances at the map on the back of the closet door. So many papers have been pinned there, all of them clustered onto the multicolored surface. So many papers and yet none were particularly fruitful. “Might be,” he mumbles.

       I look at him for a long moment and then at the map. Many pins, locating Klaus and Stefan’s kills and possible kills, decorate the east coast, almost covering entire states. “Well, if it is them, they sure have been quite busy,” I remark. Damon stares at the map for a moment and nods his head almost imperceptibly.

      “Yes, they have.” He looks on at the map for a long time before shutting the closet door. “Alaric and I are going to check it out,” he tells me. Damon’s piercing gaze meets mine and his lips curve into a half smile. “You up for a road trip?”

        Loud rock music blasts from the car’s speakers, vibrating the dash. Damon sits in the passenger seat, tapping his fingers to the beat on the armrest. Alaric keeps his eyes locked on the highway as we race down the stretch of pavement, flanked by vehicles and tractor trailers. I sit in the middle of the backseat, my legs crossed. The singer’s voice reverberates off the windows, bouncing back at all of us and shaking the seats. Alaric groans and mutters, “That’s it.” He leans over and flips off the radio. The rock music ceases and there’s an overwhelming, peaceful silence that follows.