The Fallout

Stefan’s POV-

            Quietly, I make my way downstairs, following Bonnie down, deeper into the dilapidated mansion that is the old witch burial ground. I stand at the bottom of the steps for a long moment, watching her as she looks around the dusty room. Her shoes clunk against the floorboards and they creak under her weight. She stops and glances back and forth. I shift my weight and say, “Hello, Bonnie.”

            The young witch turns around. Her green eyes widen in shock and she appears as if she has seen a ghost. “Stefan?” My lips curve up slightly as she pauses and knits her brow. For a moment, she just stares at me, putting it together in her mind. Then, she takes a small step forward. “You followed me here?” she asks.

            I step out of the shadow of the staircase and into the filtered sunlight. “Yeah,” I reply, pushing my hands into my jacket pockets, “It wasn’t too hard. You should probably be more careful.”

            Bonnie steps back, looking slightly nervous. “What do you want with me?” she inquires cautiously.

            I slowly walk over to her. “Oh, relax. I just need your help.”

            “Why would I help you?” she asks, narrowing her eyes, “Elena said you saved Klaus’s life.”

            “Let me fill you in on a little secret about Klaus,” I begin, peering down at her. She looks up at me with suspicion. “He kept his family with him at all times…daggered, stored in coffins, and now, I have them. And I need you to help keep them hidden.”

            “Are you out of your mind? You’re just going to make him angrier.”

            “His family’s his one weakness. As long as I have that, I can ruin him.”

            “I don’t have enough power to hide four Originals!” Bonnie protests.

            I smile. “You’re a witch,” I say to her, “You hate Klaus…and we can figure something out.”

            A look of confusion washes over her. “We?”

            “Oh yeah-” The sound of footsteps on the stairs alerts us to her arrival. “-I forgot to tell you-” Bonnie’s eyes go wide, fixated on a point behind me. I turn and look back at the new arrival. “-Elizabeth’s going to help.” The older vampire stands in the entryway, her brunette locks pulled back into a loose ponytail and her lips curved into a small smile. Bonnie steps forward and gapes at Elizabeth.

            “E-Elizabeth?” the young witch sputters.

            She steps forward and greets Bonnie kindly, “Hi, Bonnie.”

            “Wh-Why are you…?” Bonnie’s voice trails off and she shakes her head in disbelief.

            “Why am I helping Stefan, of all people?” the vampire asks, finishing the witch’s sentence. Elizabeth pauses and then goes on to answer, “I hate Stefan for messing up the plan to kill Klaus, but this might be able to make up for it, Bonnie. We might still be able to defeat him once and for all.”

            “But…But how did you even know where Stefan was?”

            “I didn’t.”

            After remaining in silence for so long, I finally speak up, “I contacted Elizabeth. I figured she might have some powerful spells up her sleeve that could be useful…but since she’s no longer a witch, she can’t perform any of them. That’s where you come in, Bonnie.” Bonnie looks over at me.