Blinked

Stefan passes me on the walkway and calls over his shoulder, “We’re leaving in ten minutes!”

            I turn around and begin, “Does Damon…” My voice trails off when I see that he’s already gone. Sighing, I decide to let Damon know just in case. My footsteps quietly echo throughout the silent house as I make my way over to Damon’s room. Without bothering to knock, I open the door and step inside. “Damon, we’re leaving in-” I stop midsentence when I see the young vampire standing in the middle of his room, completely nude. The white towel around his feet shifts as he moves to face me. With an embarrassed squeal, I cover my eyes and whip around. “P-P-Put some clothes on!” I stutter.

            “Sorry. Usually people knock,” he says. I hear him shuffle around as he wraps the towel around his waist again. “Alright. I’m decent.”

            Cautiously, I crane my neck and peek around my fingers to see. Damon’s toned chest, dripping with water left over from the shower, is the only thing I can see now. I let out a small breath and turn to him again. “What I was saying before was that we’re leaving in ten minutes.”

            “I know. Stefan came in here and nagged me about it.” I watch him as he goes to his dresser and pulls out a blue shirt and a dark pair of jeans. He tosses them onto his bed and then steps over to me. His icy blue gaze meets mine and his dark brows furrow. I raise an eyebrow at him. “Are you sure you’re okay with this?”

            “What do you mean?” I ask, confused by his question.

            “I mean, are you okay with not being able to wake up your little boyfriend?”

            I stare at him for a moment and then tear my gaze away. “Yes, I’m fine.” My heart wrenches as the blatant lie passes my lips on a quiet breath. Damon’s gaze is still focused on me, but he does not say anything. For a long time, we remain in silence. I know I cannot wake Elijah. It would hinder the plan. However, I also know that my heart cannot take much more of this.

            Crossing my arms over my chest, I tell him, “Get dressed. I’ll meet you down in the car.” Then, without another word, I move back out of his room and head down the walkway. Behind me, his door shuts with a click.

            Damon, Stefan, and I make our way up to the dilapidated mansion, our feet crunching the fallen leaves. I wrap my red sweater tighter around my body as a strange feeling washes over me. There’s a new presence, one that causes my hair to stand on end. I cannot depict where or what this new aura is emanating from, though. We pass under a tree in silence and I try to shake the odd feeling. Stefan looks over at his brother and then suddenly asks, “You didn’t say anything to Elena about the coffins, right?”

            “No, I said I wouldn’t,” Damon replies.

            “I know what you said.”

            Damon looks at Stefan, who turns to meet his gaze. “Then, why are you asking?”

            Stefan pauses before answering, “Because protecting the location of Klaus’s family is my number one priority right now and the fewer people who know, the better.” Damon’s gaze shifts upward and he stares off into space, his eyes narrowing. I can see it on his face. He feels the presence, too. Stopping, Damon taps his brother on the arm. I step up beside Damon as Stefan glances back at him and then quickly surveys the area. “What?” he asks, still confused.

            “We have company,” I mumble, narrowing my eyes at the mansion.

            “Be right back. Wait outside the door,” Damon orders. He’s gone in a flash and Stefan looks at me. I nod to him and we move silently over to the open door. Leaning against a pillar, I fold my arms over my chest and focus my attention on the haunting entryway. For several moments, nothing stirs. Only the wind moves through the uninhabited house. The two of us wait patiently, until, finally, an unfamiliar man walks out of the mansion. He stops short when he sees Stefan. I step around the pillar and the stranger glances at me. The odd feeling I got before was from this man’s presence. It returns tenfold as I get closer.