What Happens in Chicago, Stays in Chicago

“Where the hell are you?”

            I sigh at the usual pleasant greeting from Damon. "Hello to you too, Damon."

            "Where are you?" he repeats.

           “I decided to take a little vacation. Don’t worry, I’ll be back in no time,” I tell him with a smile. My one had grips the black steering wheel of my jeep as I use the other to hold my phone to my ear. The highway stretches out in front of me with a mass of vehicles all going in the same direction.

            “Where are you going?” he asks. I can hear the glasses clinking in the background and it’s not hard to guess he’s having a drink or two.

                “To this city I used to hang around in.”

                “Oh yeah? And where might that be?”

            “None of your business, Damon,” I reply curtly. I pull into the left lane, making it around a slow driver. Wanting to get off the topic of my abrupt departure, I add, “So, got any new leads on the Klaus and Stefan brigade?” There hasn’t really been any new information since Elena and Alaric’s sneaky trip to the Smoky Mountains. Damon told me about how Stefan confronted him there and how he was wrong about his brother not being able to be saved. It was a relief to hear that, but who knows if he even wants to be saved.

          “Well, I got a call earlier from a certain little vampire who I think may know where they are,” he reveals. I can almost hear him smirking on the other line.

            “Did this ‘certain little vampire’ tell you where they may be by any chance?”

          “No, but I think I might already know where they are.” There’s a pause and I can hear the pages of a book being turned. “I gotta go. I’m taking a road trip of my own.”

            “Alright. Try not to do anything stupid until I return,” I say and without another word, I hang up, tossing my phone onto the passenger seat. I turn the radio back on and a strange chorus of a popular song blasts from the speakers. I roll down my window a bit, letting the air rush through the car. The wind whips my hair back and forth as I drive down the highway, heading towards the exit. Ahead of me, the dark outline of a city stretches toward the bright blue sky. I pull into the right lane and drive down the exit, past the large sign broadcasting Welcome to Chicago!.

           The city is busy. Cars rumble down the streets, adding to the traffic congestion, and people bustle about on the sidewalks, cramming together to get to places. I walk down the sidewalk toward a small café with outdoor seating. Before I even get close, I see the woman I’m looking for. Sitting at a table made for two, sipping coffee, is Katerina Petrova. Her dark hair is curled and she’s got a wicked smile on her face. It doesn’t take her long to find me in the cluster of people and she gives me a small wave. I make my way over to the table, slipping past everyone.

           “I didn’t think you’d actually find me,” she says, leaning back in her chair and folding her arms over her chest.

          I pull the other chair out and sit down in front of her. I fold my hands together and lean my head on them. “Well, when you called me the other night, I had a friend of mine trace the call and it came up as a payphone here in Windy City. I thought I should drop by and say hello,” I tell her, smiling coldly at her.

           “Well, now that you’re here, want to order lunch?”

          I narrow my eyes and lean in a little closer to Katherine. “What I want is for you to tell me what you know about Niklaus and Stefan.”