Chapter 3

Samantha’s POV

I waited in line for my turn to be interviewed. My house leader tested me questions that might be asked during the interview. I was ready for anything.

“It gives me great pleasure to introduce our next player. She’s 16 and she volunteered for her little sister, it’s Samantha from Blue Penguin house!”

I walked onto the stage, every teacher, student that wasn’t in the gamed and even parents were watching. I took a seat next to the interviewer.

“So Samantha, how does it feel to be in the High-school Games?” The interviewer asked me

I knew how to answer this question; I have to act cute and funny. That’s what my house leader said.

“At first I thought it was a bit scaring. I mean come on, have you seen the boys here.”

The crowd laughed.

“They are pretty big, aren’t they” The interviewer looked at me

I nodded.

“So you volunteered for your sister why?”

I looked at the floor.

“I didn’t want to see her die in the hands of other people. Wouldn’t you want to know your little sister is safe and sound at home?” I looked into the crowd with tears in my eyes

“You seem to care a lot about your sister”

“She’s my sister of course I care about her. Anyone would care about their own sister or brother.” I was shocked at what he just said.

I knew this wasn’t going to end on a good note.

“Okay, some viewers so far of the games watched the training about 2 days ago. They saw a little thing happen between you and the boy called Sam from Sea Otter house. They viewers would like to know what’s going on?”

What? They were recording us the whole time. They saw me and that boy, Sam. Well nothing happened, nothing at all.

“Well, we aren’t friends in school. I’m in grade 11, he’s in grade 10. We don’t talk much at all, this is the first time, and I’ve since the kid. I wouldn’t say we are friends, or even more than that. We are 2 people in the High-school Games fighting to survive.”

A lot of people looked unhappy and some looked shocked. I didn’t know what was going on. Nothing made sense anymore.

“Tonight is going to be a sad time for him then. The interviewer looked at the crowd.

My mouth dropped open. I couldn’t believe what he just said.

“Pardon” I finally spat out.

“Sam, that boy you were talking to in training” the man looked at me weirdly

I looked into the crowd and everyone was staring at me. I didn’t know what to do, or what to say for that matter.

“We are friends” I must have sounded like an idiot because everyone was laughing.

 “Friends, I thought you weren’t friends, before you didn’t know what you were” the man was smirking and my mind was going nuts.

“I don’t know what to say, I’m 15 years of age and I got put in the game because of a bunch of idiots from 13 years ago. I just don’t care anymore, I just want to go home to my sister.” I could tell I was crying because a tear dropped onto the sparkling blue dress I was forced to wear.

The man patted my knee “I’m so sorry” was all he could say

A couple minutes later and we were standing and he was sending me away to back stage. As soon as I got of that stage, I ran to my room. Running past my house leader, my designer and even the other students in the games.

“Sammie, what’s wrong?” I looked up to find myself staring into the eyes of Sam.

Anger built inside of me and before I could stop myself the words came out.

“I hate you! You made me look like an idiot. ‘Oh Sam’s not going to be happy that we aren’t friends or more’. What the hell is the interviewer going on about? I swear, it better be good or..or..” Before I could finish Matt came and guided me away.

“Sammie, you need to sleep.” Matt laid me on my bed.

“Stay with me” I begged.

Matt smiled at me and laid next to me, he wrapped his arms around my body and held me.

“Night Sammie” He whispered in my ear

“Night Matt” I said before I feel asleep in his arms.

*Next day*

I woke up to find someone’s arms around me. I was freaking out because I didn’t know who they belonged to.

“Morning Sammie” I heard Matt’s voice

I stopped freaking out, when I remembered that I asked him to stay with me, last night.

“Morning Matt” I smiled

“Let’s get changed and head to breakfast”

I got up and walked over to my wardrobe and pulled out a pair of jeans and my blue cookie monster shirt and went into the bathroom. I came out, 6 minutes later, fully clothed and my hair in a nice bun.

Matt was sitting on my bed.

“Were you there the whole tine?” I asked

“No”

I was wondering when he got here, but he grabbed my hand and lead me out of my bedroom.

“Come on breakfast is going to get cold”

I giggled and walked into the big massive dining room. There was heaps of food stacked on the table. I took and seat next to Matt and dug into the food. 3 pancakes, 2 pieces of fruit bread, a bowl of cereal and an apple later, and I was done.

“You can eat” Matt smirked

“I’m hungry” I pouted

“Stop pouting and let’s get ready to go into the arena.

I can’t believe today’s the day the killing starts.

*At the arena*

“5…4…3…2...1”  

I opened my eyes and saw the arena for the very first time.

(A/N)

Welcome to chapter 3. I hope you like it. The next chapter is going to have what the arena looks like, and who dies first... You get to see the first 6 people die.... Can't wait. Comment below to save your fav character.

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

~Sammie xx