Chapter 14

"Damn," Luke spoke confidently as he walked to the breakfast table. He was talking about his sister, Allie had not taken her eyes off of Morgan and for he was the same, his eyes locked on hers.

"Luke! That is rude!" Emilia stammered at her brother. Luke smiled a wicked grin, that in future would win ladies in London. "Allie, did you even hear that?"

"What?" She had not been listening to what her siblings were talking about. "What is the matter Emilia?"

Allie watched Morgan, smiling. She was happy looking into his eyes and felt peaceful with her hand in his. They sat next to each other, although it was rather uncommon for engaged couples to eat sitting next to one another.

"Damn," Macy cursed. Allie was startled, looking away from Morgan, turning to Macy along with all her family. She knew that the room had her sibling in it, but she was had felt alone looking in her husband-to-be's eyes. "That's what he said, damn."

"Golly, a lady that speaks like a sailor. What a charm," Aunt Amanda grinned, her face turning to a smile before looking at Macy. Macy snorted.

"I will inform you what a sailor talks like and that word was nothing. When I was on the ship from America it was worse! They said things like-" Allie stomped on Macy's foot under the table.

"There are children here," Allie motioned to her younger sister and brother. Macy rolled her gray colored eyes at Allie. "I personally don't think I am old enough to hear what you were about to say."

"I want to know how sailors speak! What about you James?" Luke patted his brother's shoulder.

"Particularly not, and not right after Papa just passed. I really don't want to think of what he had to listen to while he was on that ill-fated ship," James fell quiet.

Allie knew that there were tears rolling in her eyes. She also knew it was wrong to be so happy with Morgan and their future, after her father just died. What have I done? Allie was ashamed with herself.

"Excuse me. I will be back in a moment," Allie left the breakfast table, her napkin still in her hand. As soon as she got out the door she let the tears slip. Why could he not have come back from the ship?

"Allie!" Morgan ran after her when she darted out. "Wait! What is the matter?"

Allie crumbled as she got outside the door, knowing that they could only hear the muffled cries she let out.  As she sat up against the wall next to a painting of her father when he was about James' age. Now she could see, after the time since his death, she only found peace with Morgan. Why had I not come to him sooner? She asked herself, clutching her hands to the napkin she still held from moments before. He was the person to be her husband. Why had she not come to him with the thought of her finding love and a future with him.

"Allie? Are you out here?" Morgan stepped out of the door to hear the soft cry of a woman, Allie. He had never seen her looking so sad. She was weak, something she had never been until her beloved papa passed.

"Morgan... I... need... to tell... you something," She sobbed, pressing her face into her palm as he grew closer to her. "I feel like we are doing something wrong."

"What do you mean?" Morgan took her face in his hands, felling hr soft skin within his rough fingers. She looked beautiful even when she was crying, he thought.

"My Papa, before he left, told me to marry you because he wanted me to be happy-"

"Are you not happy with me being your future husband." Morgan interrupted before Allie smiled. "Why are you smiling?"

"No, quite the opposite." Allie replied.

"What do you mean?" Morgan asked, rather confused by what Allie had told him. Was this only a women thing? Morgan thought, as he sat on the floor next to Allie.

"Now I am happy with you, but my father is dead. You see, I don't feel like I should be ready to have a future with you right now-"

"Allie! He wanted you and I to be married and he wanted you to be happy! Why can you not except that not he is dead! If you really don't want to marry me then just say it!" Morgan roared. He was normally so understanding, but now he was furious.

"I need more time to mourn my father!" Allie screamed impatiently. Tears rolled down her cheeks. The her voice turned to a whisper. "Do you not understand that? My father just died and how wrong would it be to dance over his fresh grave."

"I came here to comfort you, but I see that is not what I did. I will leave before night fall," with that Morgan left her sitting on the floor of the hall. Allie buried her face in her hands and sobbed.
................
"Macy?" James spoke while he walked in the cool library. She sat, her red hair dangling down into the green backed book she was reading.

"What did I do this time?" Macy looked up, she asked seriously. She was not acting like her happy self.

"The note," the words out as James faster than Macy could look unsure. It was along moment of confusion. Macy had opened her mouth to speak a few times and James was eagerly awaiting her response. She did not know what to say. I never wrote a note to James! She thought, with on hand on her chin. I have no clue what he means.

"James what are you talking about? I never wrote you a note!" Macy replied truthfully, but James only held out a crumpled note with messy print on it. She slowly read the last few words, I love you. "This is not even in my hand. I may sound like a uneducated American, but I am very proud of my handwriting and that is not it!"

"What do you mean? Your name is signed at the bottom!" James argued. he pointed his finger to where her name sat on the paper.

"I did not write that! What makes you think that I would write you a little note, say my undying love for you and than sit here, telling you that I was not the one who wrote it! It does not make sense, even for me!"

"Alright, it wasn't you, but then who was it? I mean, who would want to make me think than you love me?"

"I never said that I did not love you," Macy smiled and James looked mortified. "James, take a joke."

"Back to business, who would to do that?" They sat for a few moments, in the slight silence of the library.

"James, we can figure this out together. Can we just get along for a little while and figure out what this note is about?" Macy smiled and stuck out her hand. James extended his hand, taking hers and smiling.

"Deal."
.........
Hello!!!!!!
So if you are like in the story don't forget to vote. If you are hating the sorry then stop reading it. Unfortunately for you there is not a dislike button. If you find something that you thing should be changed, please tell me. Send me a comment or a private message! It would mean the world to me❤️

Follow me on Instagram: @back.in.history
❤️❤️❤️
Natalie