Chapter 6: The Scroll and the Student

I pulled the scroll that Kakashi had left for me open and laid it on top of the mess of paperwork coating my desk.

ANBU Security Report 03040367 Level 2 Alert

This should be interesting. I hadn't had any Level 2 Alerts since the war.

Genjutsu scroll stolen from Fifth ANBU Facility where it had been stored for twenty-five years, four months, and six days, file #24601

Contains powerful mind-control genjutsu; danger level 5/5

Assailants: unidentified, no known links to villages or organizations. Carried standard kunai, wore all dark red with masks and goggles, no other identifying features or symbols

Requesting immediate retrieval, backup required

Please give answer through secure channel 6.6.Alpha asap

I sighed, the ANBU were never ones for proper prose. It would have taken them only a second longer if they had actually gone through the effort to make real sentences...

I resealed the scroll with my chakra and headed out to the Hokage's office. Kakashi hadn't even officially taken the office yet, and here I was solving a crisis with him. Hmm, I was thirty-two. I could think about retiring, most ninjas retired pretty young. But, then I'd have nothing to distract me anymore.

I knocked on the door and entered Kakashi's office.

There was loud, blonde boy in there with his hands on his hips, and I couldn't help but notice that his right one was wrapped in bandages. Kakashi had his elbow on his desk and his face in his hand.

"Naruto, please. I actually have work to do right now."

So that was Naruto Uzumaki, the Nine-tails' jinchuriki and the boy who had saved the world.

"Kakashi-sensei, you never work. I just think that you want to read more love letters from that criminal you pardoned."

Love letters from a criminal? "Naruto, they're not love letters, and I didn't pardon Kahyo. She's still in prison, but instead of executing her, I made her the new warden of the prison because she can stop people from using jutsus with her ice style. So now will you please stop spreading rumors already, it's really getting old." Then Kakashi lifted his face out of his palm and saw me, "Oh, hello, Kaiyo. This is my former student, Naruto Uzumaki. Naruto, this is Kaiyo Nakahara."

Naruto turned to face me, and I saw that he had three whisker-like markings on each cheek and his bright blue eyes were wide with shock, "But Kakashi-sensei, you said that Kahyo was in prison so why's she here?"

Kakashi sighed, "No Naruto, Kah-yo is in prison. This is Kai-yo. She's the head of the Strategy Unit, and we have a official business to discuss."

"Ohhh, then I guess that you really do need me to leave then."

"Yes, that's what I've been saying for a while now."

Naruto chuckled, "But you still were trying to read that love letter when I came in."

"Naruto, for the last time, she was giving me a report on the state of the prison. There's nothing more between us. I met her once on a mission, and she's going to spend the rest of her life in prison so will you please drop it."

"But there's still one thing that I don't get, if she's a criminal then why is she the warden now? It just doesn't make sense, you know."

Kakashi looked like he was at his wit's end with his former student, "Because she can use her ice style to make it so that people have to be continuously molding their chakra to stay warm. That prevents them from being able to use their chakra for any jutsu. Besides, Kahyo swore on her life that she'd do anything for me-" He froze. "Dear god, maybe they are love letters..."

Naruto fell to the ground with laughter, and I had to suppress a smile at the Kakashi's facial expression.

A/N: I'm sorry, but I just couldn't help myself with the Les Miserables reference.