Chapter 3: Deluding Yourself

Shikamaru slid into the seat next to me with a sigh, "What's going on, Kaiyo? You always sit up front and center. Why the back corner all of a sudden?"

"I'd really rather not discuss it, if that's fine with you, Shikamaru."

He nodded and the meeting began.

Kakashi stood up from his chair, "Hello everyone, as most of you already know, I am going to formally assume the office of Hokage tomorrow and I want to make sure we are all on the same page before then. I know that I'm late for everything, but this is something that I really need to be on time with." There was some laughter from the multitude of ninja spread out in front of him. "I know all of you already at least by name, but I want to be certain about everyone's office and position and the state of everything going on the village. Unfortunately, we are going to be here a while, but I have a list of every office and unit and we'll go through it alphabetically."

I watched with calculating eyes as Kakashi called off names and people stood up one-by-one, introducing themselves and then stating their office and how it was running. I scoffed internally, the village was running very smoothly right now, and it was more than Kakashi deserved.

"Strategy Unit, Kaiyo Nakahara."

I stood up and kept my face completely clean of emotions, "I'm Kaiyo Nakahara, the head and sole member of the Strategy Unit."

Kakashi raised an eyebrow, "Sole member?"

"Yes sir, the previous head, Shikaku Nara, and Toukuro Nakahara both perished in the Fourth Great Ninja War. Lady Tsunade felt that in this time of peace, I was the only person needed for this unit."

"And do you agree with Lady Tsunade's evaluation or do you feel that you need to increase the size of your department?"

"I agree with the previous Hokage, sir."

He nodded, "Thank you."

I sat down and Shikamaru whispered to me, "Okay, what on earth is going on between you and Kakashi-sensei? He keeps glancing over at you, and you're acting even colder than usual. I know that you've been closed off since my dad and Toukuro, but this is new."

"It's none of your concern. I just hate the cold-hearted bastard."

"'Cold-hearted?' Kakashi-sensei maybe lazy and disinterested, but I'd never call him cold-hearted. He's put his life on the line for us more times than I could count. If he hadn't gone with my team when we set off to avenge Asuma-sensei all those years ago, then I'd probably be dead."

This was shocking; Kakashi putting the lives of others first? Not likely.

"Yeah right. As if he'd ever risk his life for the lives of others."

"For being a genius, you're very skilled at deluding yourself." With that, Shikamaru stood up, and I realized that the meeting had been dismissed. "I don't know what happened between you and Kakashi-sensei, but I don't think that holding onto your hate like that is going to help anyone, especially not yourself."