Chapter Seventeen - Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it!

~

Chapter Seventeen

After we had all eaten a decent sized meal, it was time to prepare for battle. It was dusk, and we would raid the castle walls at dawn, so we had to be organised. Zana had already gone to the village nearby to rally her old friends, while she had sent Monte to the other tribes. That left Hatsumo to organise his tribe and me to sit and worry.

"I won't be able to do it." I said quietly to Kaloua, Christian and Nadi, who are all sitting with me.

"Don't worry, you'll do fine." Christian says with an encouraging smile.

I sigh, "How can you be so sure?"

"I'm your advisor, I'm always sure."

"Just cause you have the title, doesn't mean you have to use it."

"Uh, yes it does." Christian says with a cheeky smirk plastered to his face, his blue eyes sparkling with amusement. I roll my eyes and look to the dragons,

"What about you two? You've both been oddly quiet, and friendly."

'Thats because we were stuck in the same cage for a number of hours,' Kaloua growls with slight annoyance, narrowing his eyes, 'And I can confirm I don't want to do it again anytime soon.'

I laugh and Christian looks at me confused, then I remember that Kaloua only spoke to me, "He was just telling me how much he loved sharing the cage with Nadi," though the sarcasm in my voice hints that he was just the opposite.

I see a figure walking back in the distance and it is Monte, followed by a large group of people...but not a whole tribe's amount. Hatsumo stops his work and walks over with confusion, speaking in his native tongue to Monte, who responds with what sounds like annoyance. He turns to me and bows,

"I am afraid that the tribes I visited would not support you as faithfully as they should have, and only volunteers came."

I nod, "You still got many to follow you, Monte. And we still have your tribe, and your mothers friends."

As I say that, Zana walks into the tribe grounds followed by many people I remember seeing in the town. They all look to me with a mix of surprise, hope and, most common, determination. These people have the effects of Arthur's foolish ruling. He has no care for them, and they hope I can change that I guess.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't get more, but they will still help us."

I nod and bow to them, then to the tribe, "Thank you all. I'm sure I will have a much better chance of success with you behind me."

After Monte translates for the tribe, they bow back in respect. I look to the townsfolk and one of the elder women step forward,

"We follow yer in chance for a new beginnin', Princ'ss. We'll die b'fore we surrender."

I smile gratefully and the woman nods, moving back into the crowd. A split second after, Zana shouts out commands in her native tongue, many people from the tribe rushing over with leather armour and all sorts of weapons, equipping the townsfolk with it. Zana grabs a blacksmith to the side and speaks something, pointing to my arm. He nods and walks over cautiously,

"May see mark?" He asks in his best English and I take off the chain mail armour, hitch up the sleeve until he can see the marking. He examines the sword and nods, walking off in a hurry. I pull the sleeve down and throw the armour back on, looking around at everyone in an organised chaos. Not that I can make sense of who is doing what.