Chapter 6

Searching through my school bag for the piece of paper Auburn gave me, I slipped out my phone. When I finally found the crumbled paper, I read off the numbers typing them into my phone. After saving her number to my contacts it was as if on cue she texted me.  

auburn: hey, are you going to that dance tonight? 

  I honestly had completely forgotten there was a dance at school tonight.  

Me: yeah I guess, I have no plans anyway.  

auburn: yay! So ill see you there!  

  I checked the time and saw it was already 5 o'clock. Having only an hour to get ready, I rushed to the bathroom to freshen up. Yanking off my shirt I dug through my draws for a shirt that was a bit more formal yet still casual since it was only a school dance and nothing too special. I gave up on finding something 'formal' looking and just pulled on a purple hoodie and kept on the dark skinny jeans I was already wearing. Putting on a bit more cologne, I slipped my phone in my back pocket and went downstairs. 

  "I'm going to a dance at school, okay mom?" I called out through the house. I saw her appear from the living room with a small smile on her face. "When will you be home Damian?" She asked setting the basket of laundry she was holding down on the table and turning to me. "A few hours I guess" I shrugged walking towards the door. "Alright have fun." I heard her chirp as I closed the door behind me and set off to school. The sun was just starting to set, and a slight chill was in the air. I held my phone and sent a quick text to Auburn. 

Me: on my way. 

My phone buzzed seconds later with a new text. 

Auburn: ill be there in 2 minutes can't wait to parrrttaaayy ;)  

I smiled at her text and quickened my speed, putting my phone away. When the school came into sight I ran a hand through my hair and inhaled deeply. Through the huge group of kids in front of the school a skinny girl with pink hair stood out. I jogged up to her and smiled. "Hi Auburn." I greeted. She tackled me in a hug, which surprised me a bit. "Shall we?" She giggled motioning towards the school. I nodded and walked with her into the school. We followed the crowd to the cafeteria where the lights were dimmed and music was playing loudly.

  "Food!" Abi cheered pulling me over to a table displaying all kinds of refreshments. As she stuffed a cookie in her mouth, I took a look around for Chris. I was really hoping he was here, just seeing him would make me feel better. "You should try this." I turned to Auburn pointing to a plate of brownies. "Im good." I chuckled. "Lets dance!" She smirked as a new song started. I shook my head wildly but was dragged towards the center of the room anyway. "I don't dance Abi." I sighed as she started moving to the beat of the music.

  "well you're going to tonight Damian!" She giggled grabbing my arms and flailing them ridiculously. I gave in and struggled to dance but I just felt so awkward. I did my best to avoid eye contact with everyone to make it less embarrassing, but of course the person I see when I look up is Chris. My eyes went wide and I froze immediately. "whats wrong?" Auburn asked seeing I stopped. I didn't even have to answer, when she saw I was staring at Chris she wrapped her arms around me. I didn't even bother to hug her back, Chris was the only person on my mind. "You should try talking to him." She suggested pulling away from me.

  My eyes darted to the floor in panic. "I don't think he wants me talking to him Auburn." I mumbled. "Well you at least deserve to know my hes mad, don't you?" She stated. She had a point, I really did want to know. I nodded my head slowly and looked around for him. "Want me to go with you?" She questioned as I spotted him standing with the group of guys I saw him with on the first day of school. "No." I simply answered and forced myself towards him.

"Why are you so mad at me Chris?" The words spilt from my mouth as he turned to face me. A snarl appeared on his face and I felt tears poking at my eyes again. I restrained myself from crying and pushed the matter. "What did I do wrong?" I squeaked, my throat going dry.   "Just go away Damian." He said codly. A few of his friends scoffed at me. "You're all asses!" I heard Auburn hiss, her hand coming in contact with Chris' face. I gasped as he flinched and covered where Abi had slapped him. "Come on Damian." She demanded taking my hand and tugging me out into the hallway.

  "You deserve better friends than that." She said trying to comfort me but It actually made me feel worse since Chris was the only friend I wanted. I know Auburn is being nicer to me than Chris ever was, but I think I might be in love with him. Suddenly Auburn had launched herself towards me and was kissing me. I tried pulling away, but she pushed me up against the wall and was running her hands up and down my body, someone who isn't gay may have liked this."Ab, Abi." I struggled to call out as she repeatedly crashed her lips into mine. She slowly pulled away batting her eyelashes. My breath caught in my throat as i saw Chris standing behind her looking disgusted. "Chris!" I yelled as he ran to an exit and dashed outside. 

  I ripped myself away from Auburn and ran after him leaving Abi there confused and alone. "Christopher please wait!" I screamed as tears finally spilled from my eyes. He took off across the football field and seemed to slow down near the line of trees behind the bleachers. "Chris!" I yelled frantically hurling my body towards him as fast as I could. I was crying hysterically as I neared him sitting in the grass with his knees pulled to his chest. I wiped the tears away as best I could and calmed my breathing before walking up and sitting beside him.

  "Do you hate me?" I whispered. He brought his head up slightly but didn't turn his head to face me. It was then when I heard the muffled sniffles coming from him. Was he crying? "Chris I'm so sorry for whatever I did to you. Don't cry please." I begged wrapping my arms around his thin torso. Unexpectedly he returned the hug and pulled me closer to him. We stayed in each others arms for what felt like hours until Chris looked up at me. "You didn't do anything but make me like you Damian." He whispered breathlessly. "What?" I blurted out not believing what he said. "I like you, okay!? But I cant like you, I cant like anyone. You'll just end up leaving like everyone else so that's why I cant talk to you or Ill get too attached." He raised his voice. 

  I blinked dumbly staring at him, he actually liked me? "I wouldn't leave you." I said quietly without even thinking. I saw him roll his eyes, and urgently dry the tears that still remained from earlier. I couldn't help it, I leaned over and kissed him. He hesitantly kissed me back. It seemed even better than the one at the party, it was more emotional.  After we broke apart, i stared up at him. "I think I love you." I whispered.