Chapter 5

I hadn't heard from Chris all weekend, and it honestly brought me to tears. What if he was absolutely disgusted by having to kiss me on his birthday and now he doesn't want to be friends anymore? My head was throbbing and I felt sick just thinking about losing Christopher over a stupid kiss. id have to talk to him today and find out why he was avoiding my texts and calls. 

  Throwing my backpack over my shoulder, I said good bye to my mother and decided to walk to school this morning. I wanted a chance to clear my mind, it wasn't a long walk at all but long enough to get some thinking done. When I made it up to the front of my high school, I hesitated scanning the crowd for Chris. He usually was a bit late coming in but it was worth a shot. Sighing, I pulled my bag tighter to my body and pushed through the kids until I made it to my locker.

  The day started off with period 4 today which meant I had visual art first and Chris had Spanish, which happened to be right next to each other. Having a good 8 minutes before the bell would ring, I headed over to the art room, waiting outside in hopes of catching Chris before class started. Sure enough, barely a minute later that's who came slinking down the hall. His head was hanging low towards the floor but I would recognize that dark ragged hair cut and slender built body anywhere.

  "Christopher I need to talk to you." I firmly stated stepping up and stopping him with a hand pressed to his chest. I could feel his gaze lingering on my hand against his chest for a long time, but finally he raised his head, very slowly, to face me. "Why have you been avoiding my texts and calls?" I asked realizing how stupid and clingy that sounded out loud. Hurt flashed through his eyes, his body expression screamed he seemed nervous. "I cant talk now Damian." He said lacking the emotion his eyes were displaying. He tried walking past me but my hand clenched onto the material of his shirt causing him to stop. 

  "Can you not do this right now? I don't feel like talking to you." Chris snapped, pulling out of my grip. I felt my eyes start to water, how could this be happening? My only friend that I care so much about, Ive only known over a week and Ive already managed to mess it up. I stared at him in shock, What had I done? I played it off like the kiss meant nothing to me at the party so how could that be what it was? I felt my whole body weaken, as if the air had been kicked out of me. Chris just stared back at me with cold eyes. Just as I tried opening my mouth to speak he turned and disappeared into his class leaving me on the verge of tears, drowning in confusion.

*****

  The day dragged by so slowly it was almost painful. All I wanted to do was go home and cry, cry, and cry. I wish I could at least know why Chris was so upset with me, but the way he acted this morning lead me to believe we wouldn't be talking for a long time, if ever again. Taking a seat at an empty corner table, I moved my lunch around with my fork, not feeling the need to eat, or do anything ever again. "Hi Damian!" I heard a sweet voice chirp, but it didn't come from Chris who was the only person I really wanted to talk to. Sweeping my bangs from my eyes i looked up to see a skinny girl with long pink hair smiling at me. "Can I sit?" She asked pointing to the chair beside me. I simply nodded and scooted over to give her some room to sit.

  "How do you know my name?" I questioned not bothering to look up, feeling utterly lifeless at the moment. "Youre in like half of my classes." she giggled opening her bottle of water. "Oh sorry, I never noticed you." I mumbled sadly actually feeling bad for not recognizing her. I saw her shrug from the corner of my eye. "My names Auburn, but you can call me Abi if you want." She said with a bubbly tone. I nodded forcing a smile. "So what made you want to come sit over here?" I asked, being the one real question on my mind. She didn't reply for a few moments, which began to worry me.

  "Im also in your math class, I know how you and Christopher are like bestfriends or something so when I saw how he treated you this morning it upset me. So I was just wondering if you're okay and if you ever need someone to talk to Im here." She explained with a sad smile. I stared at her, taking in everything she said. My throat began to tighten and sharp pains struck my stomach, before I knew it i was crying uncontrollably. Why was this one boy i just met affecting me so much? "Shh, its okay Damian. It will all be okay." Auburn cooed wrapping her thin arms around me and stroking my hair softly.

  "Im so sorry, I don't even know you. Im not going to dump all my problems on you its just not fair." I sobbed trying to dry my eyes before I drew too much attention to myself. "But Damian, thats what friends are for!" Abi chuckled slightly trying to better my mood. When I got my crying under control I smiled up at Auburn who must have been one of the nicest people ever. We knew nothing about each other and she already cared about me and what I was going through. As I looked at her more I realized she was actually very attractive, even to me, who's gay. Long black eyelashes framed her firey gold eyes, her pin-straight pastel pink  hair went well with her pale complexion, and a pair of snakebites stuck out from her full shimmering lips. As my eyes glanced at her body, I discovered a Suicide Silence shirt hanging loosely from her tiny body. A smirk danced on my lips knowing we shared the same interest in music.

"My eyes are up here." She giggled rolling her eyes. little did she know I was gay and could care less about her boobs, which were not small to say the least. "Awesome shirt." I commented causing her to blush. "Thanks. But do you want to talk about it Damian? Its fine if you dont." She leaned in closer to me, resting a hand lightly on my knee beneath the table. "Not really... but thank you." I sighed keeping my eyes on her hand which seemed to slowly inch higher and higher up my lap.   "Well alright, I hope you guys work it out because you seem like really good friends." She said giving my upper thigh a few squeezes before leaning back into her seat. 

  "Ill see you around Auburn." I smiled at her before taking my tray of uneaten food over to the garbage. I have math next.. great. I slumped down the hall until I found the bathroom. Looking in the dirty mirror I frowned. I looked horrible. My eyes were red and somewhat swollen from crying and my hair was out of place from Auburn running her fingers through it while trying to comfort me. Splashing some cool water on my face, I hurried to fix my hair and make it to class on time. I remember Auburn saying she had math with me so I should sit with her since Chris wasn't talking to me.

  "Hey Abi." I smiled finding a seat beside her. "Damian!" She squealed wrapping her arms around my neck and hugging me tightly like we've known eachother forever. To be honest, I didnt really mind since she actually seemed to care about me and be the only friend I have right now. I glanced over at Chris who was a few seats to the left of me, his head was buried in his hands, his body tilted in the opposite direction of me. Auburn must have noticed me staring at him and elbowed me softly. "Just give him some time, whatever it is you guys are going through will get better." She whispered as our teacher started passing out our assignment. I was really thankful I had met Auburn, since Chris is mad at me I would surely have already fallen apart without her help.