Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Over the next two weeks they slipped back into their routine and merged it with their new life. Dean would drop Megan and Mackenzie off at school and work before getting to this first class. Almost everyday he’d come to the office and they’d have lunch. Belinda or Jake would drop Mac off at home or she’d take the bus. Every night the three of them had dinner as a family then Mac would occupy Megan’s time while Dean got his homework done. 

That night together they said goodnight to Megan and went to their bedroom.

“Are you nervous about tomorrow?” Dean asked from his seat on the bed.

“I know you are.” She grabbed his hand. “I’ve decided to be positive about this. I know me being positive is weird but I have to believe that judge tomorrow has an ounce of common sense.” She hated to see him stressed out and doubting himself. There was no question Dean was a good father.  “Do you want to have your way with me? That might make you feel better” she crawled into his lap.

That gained her a smile. “I do want something from you.”

“Ok, lay it on me.”

Dean brushed her hair away from her face. “I know you don’t like me to bring up the past but I have to know.” He held onto her tight anticipating the urge she’d have to run away from him and the conversation. “Do you forgive me?”

Mac tried not to let her mind go back to that day in his bedroom and all the pain that followed it. Her shoulders slumped and she was silent but eventually she answered. “Your daughter calls me mom. We’ve been together every night since we got married. I’m in this for the long run Dean. We’re a family and I’ve never had one of those before. I don’t make commitments lightly.”  She explained softly as she laid her heart and soul on the line.

“I know you came to terms with our past enough for us to have a future and I’m so grateful for that but do you forgive me?” he needed her to forgive him so he could forgive himself for all the stupid things he did to her.

“Why does it matter anymore?”

“Because hurting you was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made and my biggest regret.” He whispered tightly as his eyes glossed.

Mac laid her hands over his cheeks, leaned forward and kissed him. “Yes I forgive you. I hated you and I was in hell for months following it but it wasn’t all your fault. In this last month you and Megan have given me the best days of my life. High school and all that stuff just doesn’t matter anymore in comparison to where we’re at now.” She kissed him again. “Happy now?” she asked lightheartedly to break some of the intensity.

“Ecstatic.”

“Good now shut up about it.”

Dean smiled and laid her back on the bed. “I love you Mackenzie.” He said for the first time. Her eyes went wide and he kissed her before she could have any more of a reaction.

The next morning Megan was dropped at school and it was off to the courthouse for Mac and Dean. They got the day off for the appointment, by the end of the day the judge should have a decision. It pissed Dean off that a stranger had the power to throw his whole life off balance.

“Relax.” Mac said and squeezed his hand tight.

“I’m not letting anyone take my daughter away. If they give her custody---”

“Don’t think about that. Focus on what’s happening right now.” Mackenzie tried her hardest to support him. He didn’t know what he’d do if she wasn’t there by his side.