Chapter 21

Chapter 21

3 years later.

Dean walked hand and hand with Megan down the hall to their apartment door. They were right on time with their daily routine. Dean would drop Megan off at pre-school then continue down to the University where he had classes all morning then basketball practice in the afternoon after that he’d pick up Megan and they’d have dinner before his night class and Judy, the nanny would take over until eight o’ clock and then just before bed Dean always made sure to read a story or see a quick movie before bed. Then the routine would start up all over the next morning.

They were currently heading home for dinner and homework; Dean’s homework. Megan would spy over his shoulder and pretend to help. Megan was a big joker, she teased her father and liked to make jokes about them both being in school. “What do you feel like eating?” Dean asked as he unlocked the door.

“Pizza.” Megan said with a big smile, she always wanted pizza with lots of cheese.

“Something healthy.” He corrected as they stepped inside. He took Megan’s jacket off and hung it in the closet before continuing from the entryway to the living room. Just before they reached the carpet from the hardwood his body completely froze.

There she sat cross legged on the armrest of the sofa as if it was the most natural thing in the world. “Hi.”

“How did…” he felt dizzy.

“I’ve always known how to sneak into your room, it hasn’t been that long Chandler.” Three years was a long time but not long enough to forget, not long enough to stop caring. Her eyes dropped to Megan. “Look how big you’ve gotten. You probably don’t remember me.” She said, frowning.

Megan shook her head. “You’re Mackenzie. Daddy talks about you.” She had also seen pictures.

That made her smile. “Really? I hope it was all good.”

“Impossible.” Dean went from shock to angry. “Megan why don’t you go to your room and get cleaned up.” He led her up the few steps to the bedroom area then turned toward his guest. “What the hell are you doing here?” the last time he saw her it had been high school graduation and it had been months before then since they spoke. She hated him and made that clear every chance she could with heated glares or sabotaging him at practice.

“I heard about Caroline petitioning for sole custody.”

Dean sighed, that was a very sore topic he didn’t want to face. “And you came here because?” he didn’t want to admit but it was nice to see Mackenzie, she had changed in the last three years for the better. She looked beautiful and a part of him had missed her.

“Still an ass.” She hopped off the sofa and met his eyes. “I heard about it and the thought of you losing Megan after everything made me realize you did change for the better and I wanted to see her.”

“And everything else?” Dean asked carefully.

“I want to help you; everything else doesn’t have to be mentioned.” Mac replied tightly. Their past wasn’t nice and still hurt to remember, she decided to deal with the present and pretend the last few years didn’t happen.

“Help me how?”

“Toss some ideas around. My aunt still works for that law firm and I was talking to her about custody hearings and what gives the parents a better shot.”

Dean crossed his arms. “You drove five hours to toss some ideas around?”

“No I’m not living at home anymore.”

Dean chucked under his breath, this was getting good. “Where are you living?” they moved to the kitchen table and sat.

“About two miles north of here, I got a job offer here in town. Megan looks very happy.”  She looked toward where Megan disappeared to, the kid still made her smile.

“She is and I have to make sure it stay’s that way, what ideas do you have?” Dean spent every moment of every day since those damn papers were served thinking of a way to keep his daughter safe and happy in the only life she remembered.

“My Aunt told me they normally favor the mom but since you’ve had Megan all this time the court will be more open minded to hear your side. Showing a strong family structure also gives you a better edge. The best way to do that is show Megan is secure, stable, and happy and has a mother figure; apparently the judge would eat that up. Seeing anyone lately that might be willing to help you out?”

“You mean get married?” At her nod he laughed. “There’s no one I want to marry. I was seeing someone but she’d take it too serious and I wouldn’t trust her to have Megan’s best interest.” The last thing he needed was to get involved in some scheme and the girl take it too hard and then ruin his chance at keeping his daughter.

Mac shrugged. “It was worth mentioning. I’m going to be around town do you mind if I stop by and see Megan?”

“No.” Dean said easily, they didn’t last see each other on good terms but Mac had always been good to Megan, always looking out for her. The idea hit him right then and there, he looked at Mac and the idea suddenly formed perfectly in his mind. “You’ve helped me before and you wouldn’t have a problem lying for her.”

Mac’s expression grew wary. “What do you mean?”

“You wouldn’t be looking for something real and you are a great liar and I already trust you with Megan---”

“Dean…”

“No you’re right, my lawyer told me the same thing and I need to do whatever it takes to keep my daughter. You know personally how this is, Caroline doesn’t want to be a mother, she’s just trying to prove something and when that’s over Megan suffers.” Dean was begging and didn’t care how it looked. He saw it in Mac’s blue eyes that what he said was a low blow but it needed to be said. “Marry me Mackenzie.”